Good build for a new group

hornedturtle

First Post
I'm going to be playing with a new gaming group this Saturday, so I'm looking for a good class/build for a D&D 3.5 game. I haven't been told the Character creation rules so I'm guessing we are making our characters on Saturday. Also someone else has called being a cleric. Thank you all in advance for your time.

hornedturtle

First Post
I don't really have a preference, I'm looking for something that won't cause problems. I know the one girl is a new player so I'm trying to think of something that will be more support for the group and won't take focus. I've played fighters, casters and rogues.

xigbar

Explorer
Bards are generally good for support. You could also make a wizard that specializes in Abjuration, or Enchantment, which have some nice buff spells, and ban either Conjuration or Transmutation, so you wont have as many broken spells that will overwhelm the group. If you take Bard, Sublime Chord is nice at higher levels where the rest of the group may be better able to keep up with you.

anest1s

First Post
Well. If you roll 3 good stats you can go for rogue 1/swashbuckler 3/rogue 2/swashbuckler x, taking daring outlaw for rogues sneak attack. This will help if you have high DEX and INT. You will have enough skills and much more fighting capability than rogue. If your cleric gets into the fight, you could replace the fighter role. Against undead and immune things you would be useless/ but you have the cleric for undead.

If you have time to study spells, tactics, etc off-game go for druid which is also core.Druid and cleric in the same party is overkill, but who cares.

If you don't then go for wizard- you still have to read your spells, but thats mostly when you level up. With wizard you can have supportive spells in your spellbook. You can also leave some slots open, and prepare extra spells when needed during the day.

You can also go for arcane trickster. Just be warned, its more a rogue with spells than a wizard with skills. The feat practiced spellcaster (if I recall correctly) will give you the caster levels you will be missing though, so spells like fireball will be useful for some time.

Rangers are also good support, but I don't know how to make one :p

I feel bard is hard to RP, and that he is weak when there aren't enough ppl in the party. But he still is support. But I would prefer a beguiler. :p

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What books are allowed? How many players are there going to be? Don't be a 5th wheel support class if there's only 4 players for the game.

Dandu

First Post
The divine spellcaster and the arcane spell caster are two classes a group cannot do without - or rather, will have the most trouble finding substitutes for.

If you have a confirmed cleric, you may want to play a sorcerer. Here are two examples. One is what most people build when they make a sorcerer, ie, load up on blasting spells. The other focuses on battlefield control and debuffing. Which one is overpowered depends on your point of view.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH, a caster who concentrates on buffing/debuffing is always a blessing, especially when you can help rookies overcome errors due to their inexperience.

Then there's just weird stuff, like my Mage-brutes: armor & weapon using Sorcerers (or BttlSorcs)- sometimes MCed with things like Marshal or other arcane casting classes- who channel most of their spell energies through feats like Draconic Breath or Infernal Sorcerer Shout. Inefficient but fun & flavorful!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Depending on what books are available to you, a Psion might be fun. Like a caster, only a different flavor.

Think Sorcerer, only in Chocolate.

hornedturtle

First Post
Oh I really like Psions, lol. There are a total of four people playing that I know of (including the DM) I don't know what books are allowed so I'm going to bring the ones I have, the core books, expanded psionics handbook and eberron campaign setting. Nothing like a Warforged Shaper!

Remove ads