Good fantasy reads?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Are there any fantasy series that you read but disliked? That might cue us into your tastes.

For example, of the recommendations already here I love The First Law Trilogy and The Black Company but I was often frustrated at the inconsistencies of Malazan and couldn't stand the Night Angel Trilogy.

Anyway here are more I liked: The Chronicles of Prydain, Riyria Revelations, Pratchett's City Watch, The Broken Empire, The Book of the Ancestor, The Faithful and the Fallen, David Gemmell's Legend, the Farseer Trilogy, Traveler's Gate, The Witcher, The Acts of Caine by Stover.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Ahh yes, anything by David Gemmel, for sure. The Drenai series is where I'd start there, either read in publication order or chronological order, both have their charms.

How could I have forgotten about Sir Terry! If you like the wit, humor, and profundity of Gaiman's tales, Terry Pratchett's Discworld is a must. Definitely would concur on the City Watch sub-series. That or The Witches (including Tiffany Aching).

Anyway here are more I liked: The Chronicles of Prydain, Riyria Revelations, Pratchett's City Watch, The Broken Empire, The Book of the Ancestor, The Faithful and the Fallen, David Gemmell's Legend, the Farseer Trilogy, Traveler's Gate, The Witcher, The Acts of Caine by Stover.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'd recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson. The Stormlight Archive seems most in line with your tastes, although it's also the most daunting entry point. Mistborn and Elantris are both quite good and an easier place to get started.

Also, The Waterborn, Blackgod, and Tales of Fool Wolf by Gregory Keyes. I think the books are out of print, so you might need to look for a secondhand copy (I think they're also available on Kindle).

Elantris was my introduction to Sanderson, and it probably remains my favorite of his works. The Mistborn series is absolutely action-packed.

I'd recommend anything by Brandon Sanderson. The Stormlight Archive seems most in line with your tastes, although it's also the most daunting entry point. Mistborn and Elantris are both quite good and an easier place to get started.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Elantris was my introduction to Sanderson, and it probably remains my favorite of his works. The Mistborn series is absolutely action-packed.
Elantris is absolutely a fantastic book. It has a really unique story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I feel like the ending has a few too many rough edges to be my favorite, but I nonetheless loved it (I've read it at least 2 or 3 times, and I only rarely reread books). That said, picking a favorite from among Sanderson's works is tough for me. Maybe The Way of Kings, though I'm not certain.

Remove ads