Good fantasy reads?

Worrgrendel

Explorer
David Gemmell wrote some good fantasy/historical fiction. If you like you some Greek I highly recommend Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow, Troy: Shield of Thunder, and Troy: Fall of Kings. Also along those lines are Lion of Macedon and Dark Prince. He has several others as well that I have not had the chance to look into.

Edit: Ahhhh Fenris-77 beat me to it!

Worrgrendel

Explorer
If you are into some fantasy humor try Grunts by Mary Gentle. Freaking hilarious! The story is from the Orc's point of view.

"An orc is a fireplug of a fighting machine made of muscle, hide, talon, and tusk, with a villainous disposition and a mean sense of humor. And, of course, an orc is a poor dumb grunt—the much abused foot soldier in the Horde of Darkness.

The usual last battle of Good against Evil is about to begin, and Orc Captain Ashnak and his war band know exactly what to expect. The forces of Light are outnumbered, full of headstrong heroes devoid of tactics, but the Light's still going to win. Orcs will die by the thousands, and no one cares. Not even the Nameless Necromancer who hired them..."

Mallus

Legend
Kings of the Wyld - Nicholas Eames. (and a sequel, the name of which escapes me right now)

Very tongue-in-cheek take on what an adventurers' world might look like.
Sequel's Bloody Rose. And thanks for reminding me I own it & forgot to read it! Loved Kings of the Wyld, but I'm a sucker for parodies that double as not-parodies and are just prime examples of their genre. See also, Galaxy Quest is the 3rd best Star Trek movie.

I'm currently reading Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James. It was recommended to me as "a D&D acid-trip in mythic Africa." So far, that seems to be as good a description as anything I've seen. It's intense, literary, and not-at-all intended for the Young Adult segment. (Those are good things in my mind!)

Remove ads