• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Medium size creature for Polymorph?

Lucius Foxhound

First Post
smetzger said:
But I think Green Hag takes the cake with a +11 natural AC and a strength of 19.

Interesting enough if I were to Polymorph him into a Stone Giant and then cast Reduce 50% on him; he would still have reach and he would still get the Large bonus when grappling and then he could fit in those smaller dungeon rooms.

Green Hag is good... and I like your idea of a Reduced Stone Giant.

Ogre Mage is always a good choice.

Vuron

First Post
I don't have books here but are legendary animals valid polymorph choices?

Grimlock offers some benefits as well as blindsight equipped monks are terrors in deeper darkness.

Ettercap could also be useful in many ways assuming the web effect is natural.

Other than that interesting possibilities would be creatures with natural poison effects such as the psuedodragon or possibly the monstrous scorpion ;)

Artoomis

First Post
I have to go back to my first point, though. The monk cohort should not be agreeing to being polymorphed - it absolutely changes who he is, and is permament.

He should flatly refuse to even entertain such a request, unless placed in extremis somehow where it is clear that this is the only way to go.

It's fine for PC's to decide to polymorph themsleves or other PC's, who are under the absolute control of the players, but NPCs (even cohorts) should have limits on they will agree to do.

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
Artoomis said:
I have to go back to my first point, though. The monk cohort should not be agreeing to being polymorphed - it absolutely changes who he is, and is permament.

Its only permanent until I polymorph him back.

Berk

First Post
*waves his "what Artoomis said" flag around*

A cohort is nothing more then a glorified NPC. Only way I would let the cohort voluntarily be polymorphed is if the "leader" is known for his trustworthiness. In other words not necessarily known around the campaign to everyone as trustworthy or untrustworthy but proven himself. I mean even evil characters and such get cohorts. Still doesn't mean that those cohorts would be part of the evil characters "experitments".

Also don't you think it would clearly hurt the cohort emotionally that their "leader" wants to change them into something else cuz they aren't good enough? =o)

Dwarmaj

First Post
I think you'd have a very hard time convincing a monk to be polymorphed since he'd loose all of his supernatural abilities (Ki strike, fast movement, wholeness of body, and others).

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Artoomis said:

He should flatly refuse to even entertain such a request, unless placed in extremis somehow where it is clear that this is the only way to go.

It's fine for PC's to decide to polymorph themsleves or other PC's, who are under the absolute control of the players, but NPCs (even cohorts) should have limits on they will agree to do.

I disagree with this. The same line of logic why the pcs agree to this would work on your cohort. The only way he wont get turned back is if everyone is dead except him.(absurdly unlikely) Unless there is some rule in the DMG that says cohorts have a largely reduced int when ever it would screw the pcs over, I don't see this as a hard sell. There's a reason many people think poly other is still broke.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
I think you'd have a very hard time convincing a monk to be polymorphed since he'd loose all of his supernatural abilities (Ki strike, fast movement, wholeness of body, and others).

I don't think he'd lose any of his super natural abilites. He basically beocmes a gargoyle with 11 monk levels. I think there is a big distinciotn betwen SU abilties your born with and those you gained because of training.

Dwarmaj

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

I don't think he'd lose any of his super natural abilites. He basically beocmes a gargoyle with 11 monk levels. I think there is a big distinciotn betwen SU abilties your born with and those you gained because of training.

True there is a difference, but Polymorph other doesn't know the difference. T&B states that all supernatural abilities are lost. This is the main reason the monk in my campain won't allow the sorcerer to polymorph him.

It does seem that there's a problem with the Shifter Prc, since GWS becomes supernatural, and they loose access to it when they shapeshift (shifters loose any supernatural abilities when they change shape as well).

Remove ads