• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good rant on the news page

2WS-Steve

First Post
As a fan and ex-publisher I want to say thanks to you and all the other people that make ENWorld possible. This website and its community adds a remarkable amount of fun to the game.

Regarding the ENnies: some of the responses would have worn out my patience a long time ago. Christ, people won't even pay for their own bloody shipping and are trying to foist off reading a hundred books in PDF format on unpaid judges...

My suggestion, if you decide to keep doing the awards, just establish your own rules that you think fair and are manageable. If a company doesn't want to participate that's fine. Movie studios can abstain from the Oscars too.

Syntallah

First Post
I hereby go on record as saying THANKS A MILLION! for what you do here. I have ENworld as my homepage for cryin' out loud. And I am trying to become a community supporter as well...

Eternalknight

First Post
While I liked Russ standing up for himself, there is one thing I have to disagree with:

So, you know, there's this website. EN World, I think it's called. Nothing major, just a guy who runs a website which reports the latest d20 industry news and stuff.

EN World IS a major thing, and not only to publishers, but to fans as well. The thing is, people EXPECT to be able to get the news here, and as that has been happening for quite sometime, people do take it for granted. Obviously its not the fans bothering you, Russ, but EN World certainly is a major deal to many people.

Maybe some sort of change in philosophy is needed; publishers who wish to submit their own scoops might have to pay a fee. Otherwise, only things that the you deem newsworthy get posted. Or maybe its time to walk away for a little while (please don't!) and let someone else handle it, though I know you do it 'coz you love it. It's easy to tell you are stressed out, and that is not a good way to be.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
A very good rant. It is good to see that some people still think RPGs are a hobby, and not just corporate money maker.

The part about WOTC is fine too : while the graphic quality has improved greatly, most of their current products have a cold soulless feeling. Kind of reflects a general attitude of the company.

And then : people complaining about their products not being spoken of on EN should do a minimum : like entering their products on the products review page for instance...

I love EN World, this is THE best place for RPGs and D&D.

Keep up the great stuff.

2WS-Steve

First Post
One more thing.

If WotC thinks that it should sweep the awards, they're arrogant, naive, and, frankly, stupid. Expensive graphics, writers, and shiny paper no more guarantee awards than $100 million dollar budgets guarantee a movie studio an Oscar sweep. Just look at Good Will Hunting or The Usual Suspects.

I'm brand new around here and I have already made some great new friends, learned a lot about .pdf publishing for d20 and got some great support with writers and artists for my project.

Thank you guys. You can count on me to support the site with some donations (wish they could be more) as soon as pay day rolls around.

Hang in there.

Edward Kann
StoryART

mroberon1972

First Post
I am sincerly sorry if I even distantly had anything to do with that rant. I don't think that I've thought ENWorld owed me anything, but it would seem an easy trap to fall into.

And if it was not myself that caused such bile, I'm still sorry you were treated badly enough to cause that kind of rage.

John Bowden
The Fool
Mr. Oberon
"Don't hit us!"

Remove ads