Goodman Games Announced the Indie RPG Creator Summit; Featured Presenters Share Something In Common

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I got a lot of death threats for simply existing when I was active on Twitter, so I completely, and totally, feel justified in saying that Twitter sucks, that people who spend too much time on Twitter tend to be awful, and feel no need to consider the feelings of others who haven’t been told to kill themselves for simply tweeting while Black.
I'm trans and on Twitter. I know what a cesspool many different corners of that platform can be. And I've seen my fair share of death threats. I've also gotten death threats on Facebook. And reddit. In Youtube comments. And, yes, also on RPG forums (not here, thankfully, the mod crew keeps it tight, but that still hasn't stopped me from witnessing some incredibly ugly transphobia over years through these pages). The internet writ large is full of of these pits of unchecked human evil. Nobody should be getting death threats anywhere, let alone on the internet, where anonymity begets boldness. Yes, Twitter is worse than most, especially under its new management. But that doesn't negate the pockets of community that have been founded and flourished throughout that and every other platform full of naughty word people, the good those communities of brought. Twitter has gotten me sent death threats. Twitter has also saved my life. There's bad and good there. There's bad and good everywhere.

How you feel is perfectly valid, and I absolutely don't begrudge you never wanting to set foot on that website ever again. But what you really shouldn't do is dismiss the comments and conversations of reasonable and rational people just because they're doing it on the same platform as the naughty words that chased you off it.

Divine2021

Adventurer
I have my opinion, as a Black man who got tired of being called slurs on Twitter; you have your opinion. I’m not sure why you feel the need to correct my opinion, based on my experience, that Twitter is poison and that everyone would be better off it just disappeared. This is my opinion. It isn’t your opinion. You can have your own, and I can have mine. I see no need to continue discussing this.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Seems like my comments in the other thread were deleted. Man, what a mess. If you follow the link to their actual summit, there are several non-white men there. Their other promo image is much more diverse:

View attachment 335774

But the damage was already done. Whoever put out the first image made a huge mistake. We all know no one on social media actually checks out what's going on before making an assumption. That is proven by looking at the comments. 99% of the people there never even went to the site, but assumed those were the only presenters. Doesn't matter that GG came out with this other image. Damage was already done.
I just had a thought...

Given that all the nonwhitedudes are on the same pic and we assume most or all of these people lean pretty far left, is it possible that the more diverse one was intended to be the display pic, the other one to come secondary, and someone somewhere got it mixed up?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you're all looking for social media without death threats, may I suggest Spoutible??
Spoutible also has really great technology. Of all the would-be Twitter killers, it's almost certainly got the best toys. (Threads is catching up, but is still way behind. And it's run by FB/Meta, with all that entails. You can delete your Threads account without deleting your Instagram account now, at least.)

From what I've seen, it also has very assertive moderation and a generally very progressive user base.

Remove ads