RPG Evolution: Fixing the Mess

After Patreon announced a wildly unpopular change, they reversed course. Was it enough?

After Patreon announced a wildly unpopular change that caused fans to leave their platform in droves, they reversed course. Was it enough?

recycling-4091874_960_720.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Not Just the Cool Kids​

We previously discussed how Patreon, focused on its largest creators, ended up making changes that harmed smaller but far more numerous creators, who lost their fans in droves. Fortunately, Patreon reversed course within a week. Their reversal gives some hope for what a path forward for the Open Game License might look like.

Jack Conte, CEO of Patron, took to Reddit for an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session. Jack took several tough questions head on, but Reddit member Yuuri might have summed it up best:
What can we do, together, as creators and staff at Patreon, to avoid this disheartening cycle of "we hear you, we're taking your feedback, we're listening" only to get a big pie shoved right in our faces? I have been eager to help and give feedback at every turn. I've seen the stuff Patreon is working on and am excited for changes (hello App). But times like this kill all hope and instead of working on my art, I am here pleading with Patreon on behalf of my peers who are not informed or have the time to speak out like this. Personally, I'd like to see creators of all sorts come together to on a panel that is in direct communication with Patreon, I need to know that when changes like this are even floated, there are advocates for us in the room explaining why and how these changes impact us. Not the just the top creators on Patreon, not just the big crossover artists with 10's of thousands of Twitter followers. Not just the cool kids. I want people with tried and true records of giving feedback and working with Patreon to get the call to make this $#!+ better and help avoid instances like this.
The reference to the "cool kids" was a nod to what Patreon had publicly acknowledged previously, that top 2 percent of Patreon's customers, known as Financially Successful Creators (FSCs), were a disproportionate focus on Patreon's efforts. As the blowback to Patreon's fee structure demonstrated, small creators mattered too.

Conte outlined his response, and grouped Patreon's efforts to improve into three broad categories: contrition, better listening, and better communicating.

Contrition​

In addition to reversing the change they announced, Conte apologized. He apologized on Patreon's blog. He apologized to the press. And he apologized in the Reddit AMA.
We’ve heard you loud and clear. We’re not going to rollout the changes to our payments system that we announced last week. We still have to fix the problems that those changes addressed, but we’re going to fix them in a different way, and we’re going to work with you to come up with the specifics, as we should have done the first time around. Many of you lost patrons, and you lost income. No apology will make up for that, but nevertheless, I’m sorry. It is our core belief that you should own the relationships with your fans. These are your businesses, and they are your fans. We recognize that we need to be better at involving you more deeply and earlier in these kinds of decisions and product changes. Additionally, we need to give you a more flexible product and platform to allow you to own the way you run your memberships. I know it will take a long time for us to earn back your trust. But we are utterly devoted to your success and to getting you sustainable, reliable income for being a creator. We will work harder than ever to build you tools, functionality, and income, and our team won’t rest until Patreon is making that happen.
Apologies can be tricky, because it requires authenticity and transparency. A general apology from a company's public relations department isn't sufficient. It requires a face to the company, a spokesperson in some authority, to make the appropriate apology. Conte has always been out in front of Patreon since it launched, and thus was a natural choice to make the apology. And whoever makes the apology needs a thick skin, because no matter what the apology actually contains, someone won't be happy with it.

Better Listening​

When Patreon made its change to its fee structure, they touted responses to Net Promoter Score (NPS) that were -50, along with quotes to go with it. Patreon was listening to somebody, but whoever they were didn't represent the majority of Patreon's customers. To that end, Conte promised a regular live hangout with creators and Patreon leadership, an audit and optimization of the process they used to gather feedback from our creators, and members of the leadership team committing to connecting with creators on Discord each month.

One of the startling aspects of the current Open Game License controversy is how much the new license seemed concerned about creators ... when for years, thousands of creators were largely on their own. If the current or future owners of Open Game Licenses plan to engage the community, they'll need to really engage them, not just with a new license, but a community that helps guide them so we don't find ourselves in this mess again. That means forums, live chats, and accessibility to leadership on a regular basis.

Better Communicating​

Patreon also hired a new Chief Product Officer who would focus on the "feedback loop with creators" along with a recurring creator newsletter from the product team about roadmap updates.

Similarly, any OGL initiative will need a steady rhythm of communication to keep creators in the loop. And it certainly means no Non-Disclosure Agreements, which were an attempt to intentionally separate out some creators from others.

What We Can Learn from Patreon's Mistake​

Patreon prides itself on being accessible to the general public, and that brand has paid dividends. Patreon's currency is in the success of its creators graduating to become FSCs capable of making a living off the platform alone. But that appeal is grounded in the possibility that you have to start somewhere, and anyone could become financially independent if they had enough patrons. It's the Thousand Fan Theory, and it takes a lot of work to get there.

Patreon survived its controversy, retrenched, and continues to grow. The platform and company is by no means perfect, but as of June 2021, Patreon had in excess of 6 million patrons nearly 200,000 creators, with the FSCs earning as much as $200,000 per year -- many of them tabletop gamers! Patreon is now valued at $4 billion.

Patreon served as a warning of how large companies built on the backs of small creators can lose sight of how important they are: as creators, as customers, and as fans. Losing one means losing all three, and that can be devastating in the long-term to an industry that prides itself on the free sharing of ideas. Patron learned the hard way what matters most: share your plans often and early, ask questions and listen to the response, and most of all be humble.

As the Open Game License (or lack thereof) spawns competitors and new ventures, it's good advice for anyone planning to earn the gaming community's goodwill.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Vague tweet. Are they saying THEY received the OGL with a contract or just repeating what they've heard?
Fine, bigger citation: OGL - Gizmodo Reveals OGL v1.1's 'Term Sheet' Carrots For Selected Publishers

But, okay, I'll accept contracts were sent out. Doesn't really change the fact WotC hasn't made a formal announcement and there's all kinds of ways they can spin this or retract the OGL 1.1.
This really is moving the goal posts, since the point you were saying before was that "WotC hasn't done anything yet".

(I'd rather they lie to save face than double down on a bad decision because they don't want to be called liars...)
Well, they did lie to save face in their OGL announcement to the public that said OGL 1.1 was sent out for feedback, since we know since that it's been sent out with contracts offering sweetheart deals and NDAs back in December.

But their walk back left a number of things unmentioned and therefore likely still on the table, so they are also doubling down on a bad decision.

Patreon also active managed the crisis, and made their actions clear as they were addressing it. Also, Patreon had good messaging about the “why” at the time of the announcement. Even if it was poorly received, there was an understandable reason.

WotC’s “bunker down and wait” response is almost legendary in length. It confirms that this was their intent, with no Plan B.

After this, more than a simple “mea culpa” is needed to restore trust.
Trust? I don't see that as an issue for consumers. If people want to play to the most popular RPG, they will buy WoTC products.

The key issue is whether the small publishers choose to continue to work on products of WoTC's, or not. If they are smart, they would carefully disengage.

But this assumes that WoTC will pull back. It is quite possible that they deliberately leaked this rumor in order to test the waters.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sure, theoretically WotC's executives could realize they are utterly wrong and have lost the company all its trust, and perform (figurative) seppuku in public, to apologize and show remorse... which is basically what's needed at this point.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Maybe I could have held my breath after all. Huh.

aramis erak

Legend
No one has fallen on their sword for this yet. And there is no guarantee that they won't try and do this again at some point in the future, since they haven't announced that they will make the OGL irrevocable, just that they won't be trying to revoke it at this point in time.
Agreed. They're trying an "Oh! Look! A Monkey!" type distract and switch...
... By releasing the 5th ed SRD in Creative Commons 4.0 By Attribution...

That's only good for those using actual SRD text.
It in no way protects those using OGL 1.0a for non-D&D materials.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads