Goodman Games goes ORC!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
1673750124883.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Is there anything that says a company can't publish Product A under one license and Product B under another?

Because if there is a lot of people are in a lot of trouble
WotC hopes to "de-authorize" the OGL 1.0, so if they have their way, publishers must use the new OGL 2.0 for all new OGL products.

However, if that aspect of the new license goes away, could publishers produce some products under the OGL 1.0 and others under the OGL 2.0? Yes, depending on the specific terms of the new license. It probably won't be common though.

Could a publisher produce some products under the OGL (1.0 or 2.0) and the upcoming ORC license? Sure, no reason why not.

Can publishers like Goodman publish under the OGL (or the ORC) and also under a separate negotiated license with WotC? Yes. They already have with the OAR series.

Now, the SAME product can't be published (simultaneously) under multiple licenses . . . to the best of my knowledge. However some publishers are already switching their existing games from the OGL to the upcoming ORC license.

A lot depends on the specific wording of the new OGL 2.0 and the future ORC. And how litigious WotC wants to be about it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
WotC hopes to "de-authorize" the OGL 1.0, so if they have their way, publishers must use the new OGL 2.0 for all new OGL products.

However, if that aspect of the new license goes away, could publishers produce some products under the OGL 1.0 and others under the OGL 2.0? Yes, depending on the specific terms of the new license. It probably won't be common though.

Could a publisher produce some products under the OGL (1.0 or 2.0) and the upcoming ORC license? Sure, no reason why not.

Can publishers like Goodman publish under the OGL (or the ORC) and also under a separate negotiated license with WotC? Yes. They already have with the OAR series.

Now, the SAME product can't be published (simultaneously) under multiple licenses . . . to the best of my knowledge. However some publishers are already switching their existing games from the OGL to the upcoming ORC license.

A lot depends on the specific wording of the new OGL 2.0 and the future ORC. And how litigious WotC wants to be about it.
Whole situation is very much up in the air.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In general they can unless one of the licenses forbids it.

Last edited:

Remove ads