• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Google blogger: 'I was terminated'

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Pielorinho said:
Rel, I hope to make it to a game day soon; it seems like for the past year, my weekends have been all full, and I don't get to make it to the Triangle ever. And I'm not even sure if I'll make it to Gencon this year, though I hope I can.

Daniel

I understand. Life gets busy sometimes and it won't seem to slow down to give us a breather.

The April Game Day is going to be on the 23rd in case that lets you plan in advance at all.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Okay, now that one is going a little too far. Getting fired because you got caught drinking Bud when you work for Miller? Sheesh.

Places like that have an agreement that you can't drink a competitor's product while in uniform. I found that out from a Pepsi employee one time. Because I asked him and he said that while he was in uniform, he couldn't drink Coke. So he'd order tea instead. I can understand that as it'd be a conflict of interest. It's a "do it when you're not working but don't do it when working. It looks bad for the company when you do".

fusangite

First Post
I think you'll find that the United States is fairly unique within the developed world in this respect; employee severance is actually more difficult in the EU and Australia than in Canada. But I am amazed by what a large portion of your states do run things this way. Thanks for the helpful link.

Arnwyn

First Post
Pielorinho said:
I believe that Canadian labour law is very different from US labor law
Indeed it is. And, in turn, Canadian labour law is again different from EU and Australian laws (as pointed out by fusangite). There are certainly no "at will" provisions.

But, in any case, firing for blogs would be right out in Canada. Pretty much if you don't use company resources/time and don't disclose any form of confidential information, firings just aren't going to happen that quickly or easily (unless you're in your probationary period). Disciplinary action, though, would occur.

In Canada, outside of work, you're your own person.

Raloc

First Post
I didn't read all of the first page of posts, but it seems like most of them run in the vein of, "Expect to get fired for badmouthing an employer publicly." The only problem with that is, at least in the case of the Google blogger, there wasn't really any bad mouthing going on. Here are copies of the posts in question: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/WRJ?subid=6578013

Last edited:

Remove ads