Grapple, Break Another's Pin, GameStoppers?

Gizzard

First Post
I was reading over the old GameStoppers #2 on the WotC site; the one where the party grapples with an Otyugh. At the very end of the combat, Krusk declares that he is going to try to "free" Lidda and then does so with an opposed grapple check.

What exactly happened here? I didn't think that you could break an ally out of a grapple. The closest thing I see in the PHB is "Break Another's Pin" (p137) which I had always assumed referred only to helping "pinned" allies.

Is this GameStoppers correct? I know people have suggested that a GameStoppers installment often contains a mistake or two.

durath

First Post
By breaking anothers pin, you are only breaking the pin-they are still grappled.

That being said I see no reason why you couldn't further break them out of the grapple completly if you have another attack available.

Gromm

First Post
Logically it makes sense, the big Barbarian grabs pulls the limbs off the rogue and pulls her out of the grapple.
I can see it, happens in real life fights all the time (a bunch of people pulling two brawlers apart), so it fits pretty well.
It also helps weaker party members who get stuck in those situations with no hope of succeeding (mage in a big creatures grasp, etc).

Gizzard

First Post
I agree that its sensible to pull someone free by grappling. I just am confused whether there is an actual *rule* in the PHB which supports what happened. Basically, if I wanted to try this trick in my game I should be able to show my DM the relevant passage. (My interpretation of "Break Anothers Pin" is the same as Duraths; its only about getting your buddy back the ability to take an action this turn.)

Actually, if there are any (other?) mistakes in this GameStoppers I'd be interested; I'm printing it out and filing it away to help our group understand grapple and Improved Grab.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Actually, if there are any (other?) mistakes in this GameStoppers I'd be interested; I'm printing it out and filing it away to help our group understand grapple and Improved Grab.

LOL!

Where to begin.

WotC boards

Go there. If you scroll through the old messages, there are numerous threads devoted to pointing out all the mistakes in the Game Stoppers articles.

Gizzard

First Post
>Go there. If you scroll through the old messages...

Hmmm, the Web Enhancement forum seems to be where threads are sent to die. I saw discussion of two of the later GameStoppers (goblin Longspear, purple worm) but nothing far enough back to discuss the old Otyugh grapple. Here is the Otyugh grapple link if anyone wants to give it a read through and a fresh opinion.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/gs/gs20011019a

I will mark down the comments about the later GameStoppers though, thx go out to the previous poster.

Remove ads