• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grapple check, 1 = auto fail?

MarkB

Legend
Question said:
If one rolls a 1 on a grapple check isnt it an auto failure like the rest?
It's not an attack or a save, so no.

I seem to recall there also being a rule about no automatic success or failure on opposed rolls, but I'm not certain about that.

Bront

The man with the probe
Actualy, i believe it is, and there are autos in opposed.

When both autofail or success, then you still do the math.

Otherwise, there are situations where it is hopeless for some creatures to escape other creature's grasp.

Last edited:

kjenks

First Post
In 3e, a grapple check was more like an attack roll, and the old 3e FAQ said that a natural 1 was an automatic failure.

But in 3.5e, a grapple check is less like an attack roll, and the new 3.5e FAQ has several entries confirming this. (And yet there's still a -4 penalty for grappling while prone. Go figure.)

myradale

First Post
Even if the RAW would suggest that a one is an auto-fail and a 20 is an auto-success for opposed roles, I would strongly suggest house ruling it otherwise.

Otherwise you can end up with the exceedingly ridiculous situation of a pixie trying to trip a storm giant and having a 10% chance of success (1/20 chance of a natural 20 for the pixie, 1/20 chance of a natural 1 for the giant)
Some things should just be impossible.

starwed

First Post
Otherwise you can end up with the exceedingly ridiculous situation of a pixie trying to trip a storm giant and having a 10% chance of success (1/20 chance of a natural 20 for the pixie, 1/20 chance of a natural 1 for the giant)
Some things should just be impossible.
That's not a 1/10 chance, but rather a 39/400 chance. :p

Besides, it's no more ridiculous than the commoner hitting someone with 50 AC, and yet that can happen as well. (And many people house rule the auto fail/succeed for skills and other circumstances.)

pawsplay

Hero
starwed said:
That's not a 1/10 chance, but rather a 39/400 chance. :p

Besides, it's no more ridiculous than the commoner hitting someone with 50 AC, and yet that can happen as well. (And many people house rule the auto fail/succeed for skills and other circumstances.)

I think a commoner hitting someone with an insane AC is within the realm of reason. A halfling pinning a War Troll is not.

argo

First Post
Yea, but that pin will only last for one spectacular round after which the war troll will turn around and crush the hafling like normal.

You can't keep rolling twenties all day :]

Remove ads