D&D General Great and not so great setting specific sourebooks/modules

The 2e Ravenloft boxed set is so good. Just about every domain has something to get a DM started there. And that Stephen Fabian art!

Hollowfaust: City of Necromancers is a super-flavorful locale. One of these days I really need to get around to running a Scarred Lands campaign (instead of just using Hollowfaust in my homebrews).

Mythic Odysseys of Theros presents a world that feels both like D&D and like the ancient Greco-Roman tales. I don't play Magic, but I'd run a Theros game in a heartbeat.

The 2e Volo's Guide to... series are still indispensable when I'm running in the Realms. From shops, alleys, and inns, you get such a feel for the setting, and plenty of adventure sparks.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
4e's The Plane Above made me want to set a game in the Astral Sea SOOOO bad! It's fun to read even now and I love its version of the plane of the Divinities and all the stuff added to the cosmology!

I missed that in my 4e stuff. Just sent my group into the Astral sea and while I have some definite ideas and hooks ready I could always use more inspiration!

Will check it out.

Undrave

Legend
I missed that in my 4e stuff. Just sent my group into the Astral sea and while I have some definite ideas and hooks ready I could always use more inspiration!

Will check it out.

there's tons of great material on every major divine domain, they detail the various 'islands', the motivations of a bunch of deity (Erathis is my favourite!) and even a few new races. There's even exemple encounter groups and various adventure hooks.

The Quom in particular are super interesting! They used to live on a divine domain that was also their goddess and in the Dawn War that domain was shattered. They now traverse the Astral Sea on large 'Comet Ship' tracking down every single pieces of their lost domain in the hope of reviving it. They will stop at nothing and can detect even the most minute fragment when in close proximity. The book suggest having the PC come into possession of a magical item that include a piece of their domain in its construction. They look like human sized dwarves with weird colouring and some of them develop a second face on the back of their head.

It's a GREAT book.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
+1 for the 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting.
I saw the original DS material in first release, but I thought it was just "desert D&D". Reading the 4e hardcovers showed me what I had not noticed (when I was young and foolish): a rich challenging setting that summons forth and demands to measure the hero - or scoundrel - in you.

It was surprisingly good! In general, planar sourcebooks will always get my creative spirit revved up.

4e's The Plane Above made me want to set a game in the Astral Sea SOOOO bad! It's fun to read even now and I love its version of the plane of the Divinities and all the stuff added to the cosmology!

2e Dark Sun Campaign Setting Expanded and Revised (box set). I first became aware of Dark Sun from PotA’s appendix on adapting the adventure to other settings, and went looking for more. This was the first DS product I found, and while I would later delete it, it still inspired me to look for more.

2e Dark Sun Campaign Setting (box set) & 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting. After reading the Expanded and Revised, I purchased these two products (2e PDF and 4e hardcover) and loved them both so much that I started building a 5e Dark Sun-inspired campaign right then and there.

I believe that the original 2e Dark Sun box set was the best D&D product ever made.

I could continue on with Dark Sun and similarly flavored sourcebooks (Dark Sun Monstrous Compendiums, the Ravaged Wasteland of Crifoth, B/X Mars, etc). However, that wouldn’t be fair to the other sourcebooks I draw inspiration from.

D&D Basic, Where Chaos Reigns & Twilight Calling. Technically adventure modules (set in Aelos and Mystara respectively), but I think they work better as a campaign resource.
Time traveling cyborgs, a domed city at the end of time, and several unique demiplanes? Heck yeah!

2e Time of Dragons (Taladas sourcebook). A sub-setting of Dragonlance. Great in its own right, and also a precursor of sorts to Eberron.

3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting. The first official setting I discovered on my own. I was so impressed by the world that next session I started telling my old DM about it, without knowing that he had the entire line of 3.5 Eberron products himself.

3.5 Secrets of Xen’Drik. This one was recommended to me by my old DM. I especially enjoyed the adventure sites chapter. The Sulatar are also the only interpretation of the drow that I actually like.

4e Eberron Campaign Guide. The two 3.5 products above made me a fan of Eberron, but this was the one that convinced me to actually run an Eberron campaign. It’s the best official Eberron sourcebook ever produced by WOTC in my opinion.

Monte Cooke Games’ Arcana of the Ancients. I consider this one to be a Numenera sourcebook.
When I’m running an Eberron campaign and the PCs enter the Mournland, this is the book I reach for. It’s got sci-fi items galore and bizarre monsters, all perfect for the Mournland.

Onyx Path’s Blood Sea: the Crimson Abyss. The cover art alone was so awesome, I went and looked into the rest of the Scarred Lands.

Pangolin Press’ City of Salt in Wounds. If ever I actually run a Scarred Lands campaign, I’m sticking this place in as the source of the Blood Sea.

Pathfinder’s Numeria, the Land of Fallen Stars & Iron Gods. What happens when you take Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and create both a campaign region and adventure path based on this classic module.

Seth Tomlinson’s Blades and Blasters. What if UFOs invaded your standard tolkienesque fantasy?

Dragon #315 & #359. I’m currently creating a wide variety of campaign ideas. These two issues have been helpful with the Isle of Dread campaign. I plan to use the Defilers of Ka as one of the enemy factions, and will be including an abandoned temple to Shaktari as a dungeon.

You have good opinions re: sourcebooks!

The great:
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, 3rd Edition. The best single-book campaign setting work ever done for D&D. Even almost 20 years later it's THE seminal work on the Realms. It's the standard I hold every other setting book to in terms of introducing and explaining a setting, fleshing it out, and integrating the setting with the game system. Others have pointed this book out too, for good reason, it's stood the test of time and I think it's really become a classic D&D book.

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms. The best dang equipment book ever made for any edition of D&D, it was just so immersive. It was literally the first D&D book I ever bought, I picked it up on a bookstore shelf and thought "this is awesome!" and started to look for other D&D books just based on finding this book alone.

Faiths and Avatars, 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms. The first FR book I was able to find (after Aurora's), an entrancing introduction to the realms by depicting the major gods and their priesthoods, and the illustrations did such a great job of conveying what the various clerics and priests of Faerun are like.

The not-so-great:
Castle Greyhawk, 1st Edition Greyhawk. Turning the venerable, classic setting of D&D into literally a joke module seemed an intentional insult to Gary Gygax. I presume this was done intentional to make nobody want to play Greyhawk. I pity whoever picked this up as their first introduction to the setting.

Weiley31

Legend
As everybody else has stated before: If your big on having your games set in the Forgotten Realms: The 3rd Edition Campaign Setting book is your go to choice when you want to flesh out your FR campaigns for 5E. The fact that it beats out the 2nd Edition books, and those books were known to be hella good at lore making for settings and stuff, then you know you have something very good on your hands. I have to procure a copy since all of my 5E games are set in the Forgotten Realms.

Last edited:

Remove ads