OSR Great standalone fleshed out settlements

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
What are some great supplements that feature fleshed out villages, towns, and cities without a significant reliance on a larger campaign setting's trappings? I'm building my own world and have loads of adventure sites like this, but having trouble sourcing settlements that aren't either so bare-bones (Whitesparrow in Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures is cool but too little content on its own) or too integrated into setting assumptions (Waterdeep and Sharn).

An example of ones I like are the keep from Keep on the Borderlands, Hommlet, and Sandpoint from Pathfinder. They're not only fairly "generic" but also have cool stuff going on inside them regardless of the larger adventures around them.
Frog God Games has a number of them. Many of their books are stated up for Swords & Wizardry (a retro-clone with some modern design additions) and Pathfinder 1e.

Bard's Gate is probably their best known City Guide and it can be dropped anywhere in your setting along a major river. It is a city state, but you could easily make it part of an existing Kingdom.

The recently released Cats Cradle, which is a nicely fleshed out town with an associated adventure.

City of Brass if you want a fleshed out legendary extra-planar city.

The Blight provides great detail for the gritty, City-State of Castorhage.

Bards Gate and The Blight are huge books. They also have player guides, poster maps, etc.

GuyBoy

Hero
Frog God/Necromancer did The Grey Citadel for both 3 and 5E. Well-fleshed out settlement in an interesting location.

Voadam

Legend
Frog Gods is an excellent suggestion they put out a lot of Swords & Wizardry (so 0e OSR compatible) stuff.

The already mentioned Bard's Gate and The Blight detail two different cities in great detail and they can be taken out of the Lost Lands world fairly easily. Think City State of the Invincible Overlord type detailing but descriptions you'd expect from the d20/Pathfinder era with 0e mechanics. They also have a bunch of heavily detailed adventure sites like the Lost City of Barakus.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Not to pimp my own stuff, but I've got a couple of settlements in hexes that can be plopped down wherever.
I was thinking of your hexcrawl line but could not remember the name of your company so I think it is worthwhile that you spoke up.

I recently grabbed The Pallid Fields for both a fey themed mini-hex area and the Faery knights, lords, and ladies. Have not gone through it yet though (my current game is Thundar the Barbarian themed so classic fey stuff is for other future possible use).

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Not to pimp my own stuff, but I've got a couple of settlements in hexes that can be plopped down wherever. Let's see:

*The Basilisk Knights. Grassy hills, town controlled by order of knights that patrols the surrounding lands. Gold rush going on to the south. It's been compiled into a larger hexcrawl book that adds a new village to the area.
*Village of the Owl-folk. Arboreal community of owl-folk . . . actually, I think you did the original layout for that one, but it has been revised since.
*The Domain of Deepwater is a seven-hex domain cluster centered around a keep and village.
*My newest Patreon release is a sub-arctic community that supports a research institute and their expedition into the Frozen North to recover lost artifacts of the giant-folk. This should be available middle of next week.

PHM Issue 6 -- Ogrim, the Gateway to the Frozen Wastes, is available at my website and will be up at Drivethru at the beginning of next week. It details a community in the cold northern reaches.

Remove ads