Greater Inspiration

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Am I reading this ability correctly? Does it really require a full-round action from all the beneficiaries as well as the action to activate it?

For reference:
MSRD said:
Greater Inspiration: The Charismatic hero can inspire his or her allies to even greater heights, bolstering them and improving their chances of success. An ally must listen to and observe the Charismatic hero for a full round for the greater inspiration to take hold, and the hero must make a Charisma check (DC 10). The effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the hero’s Charisma modifier.

An inspired ally gains an additional +1 morale bonus on saving throws, attack rolls, and damage rolls, which stacks with the bonus from inspiration for a total of a +3 morale bonus.

A Charismatic hero can’t inspire him or herself. The hero can inspire a number of allies equal to one-half his or her Charismatic level, rounded down (to a minimum of one ally).

Assuming that the above reading is correct, would it be unbalanced, in your various oppinions, to remove the action requirement from the beneficiaries?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Yea, I've always read that as they must be able to hear the Charismatic hero for one entire round before the effect kicks in. I.E. Charismo's initiative is 13 and he begins inspiring. Strongy and Smartypants go next and continue beating up on an unusually small Volkswagen. NEXT round, not this round, Strongy and Smartypants get the bonus.

--fje

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Thanks guys. That's a very reasonable reading.

My Charismatic player will become annoyed with me when I explain this but it's far from the first time she's been annoyed with me.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Well it's just got a delay of one round. You pump up the jam the first round with regular Inspiration, the next round they get that Inspiration while you pump up Greater Inspiration and the next round after that they get the GI bonus ... so they stack.

Basically the fight has to be three rounds in before they're getting the full bonuses.

--fje

ValhallaGH said:
Am I reading this ability correctly? Does it really require a full-round action from all the beneficiaries as well as the action to activate it?

For an official answer, send the question to Bullet Points.

Unofficially, while the effect takes a round to activate, and those benefiting must be able to hear the Charismatic for the full round, they are free to take other actions at the same time. It's not an action on their part, just a requirement that must be met.

EditorBFG

Explorer
ValhallaGH said:
You do enjoy pimping your column.
Well, it is in everyone's best interest to keep official rulings and message board postings (not matter who posts them) separate. That said, I am glad Owen weighed in on that, and I'm taking what he said as gospel anyway-- though I think we all have been running it that way all along, just like ValhallaGH suggested.

ValhallaGH said:
You do enjoy pimping your column. ;)

Well... yeah. Love the heck out of it. First, it's an honor to be the official rules guy for any rules system, much less one I like so well (and write so much for) as d20 Modern.

Second, it's the only gig I have where someone else writes half my work (in the form of questions). :)

ValhallaGH said:
You're right, someone else probably does have the same question. Now, to find that pesky e-mail....

As was already mentioned, the main thing I want to do is draw a nright line between forum posts and WotC sanctioned official rules answers. But also, I figure any question that comes up at EN World -must- be common enough to deserve a place in BP

Owen K.C. Stephens
d20 Triggerman

Need better cheap magic options?
Get Loot 4 Less II: Rods, Staves and Wands

Remove ads