Greatest Sketch Comedy (What's Your Top 10?)

What are your favorite sketch comedy shows of all time? (Pick 5)

• 1. Upright Citizens Brigade

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 2. Mr. Show

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 3. Key and Peele

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 4. A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 5. The Kids in the Hall

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 6. Chappelle's Show

• 7. Portlandia

• 8. That Mitchell & Webb Look

• 9. Saturday Night Live

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • 10. Monty Python's Flying Circus

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • 11. Your Show of Shows

• 12. SCTV

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 13. In Living Color

• 14. The Muppet Show

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 15. Human Giant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16. MadTV

• 17. The Day Today

• 18. Inside Amy Schumer

• 19. Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!

• 20. You Can't Do That on Television

• 21. The Ben Stiller Show

• 22. The State

• 23. The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

• 24. Rowan and Martin's Laugh In

• 25. Not the Nine O'Clock News

• 26. The Two Ronnies

• 27. Little Britain

• 28. French and Saunders

• 29. The Catherine Tate Show

• 30. Snuff Box

• Poll closed .

Monty Python is a classic, but it was never consistently good. It had only a few sketches that people remember, but most of it wasn't good at all. A bit of Fry and Laurie and French and Saunders were a lot more consistant in their quality. Madtv and SNL had a lot of fantastic sketches, but which were again easily outnumbered by their bad sketches.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Monty Python is a classic, but it was never consistently good. It had only a few sketches that people remember, but most of it wasn't good at all. A bit of Fry and Laurie and French and Saunders were a lot more consistant in their quality. Madtv and SNL had a lot of fantastic sketches, but which were again easily outnumbered by their bad sketches.

Well, I wrote "For me, the following are the Top 10, combining a peculiar mixture of funny, personal preference, influence, and longevity into a special judging admixture ..."

In the end, it's all arbitrary, and mostly to spur conversation. I think that Monty Python would have to be in anyone's top ten (and certainly my number one) for the combination of funny and influence; of course, it's also hard to separate out the TV show from the later movies and individual work of the people involved.

Other shows (such as Portlandia) I put up there because they are amazingly funny, but they can also be hyper-specific; they don't have the madcap energy or randomness that a Monty Python or Mr. Show has, and I wonder if it will have the same "feel" in 30 years.

Most lists will necessarily be biased toward more current shows and/or "best of" shows depending on the age, given that humor can be very time-specific as well. Some classic shows (I'm thinking of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In) just don't seem very funny any more. IMO. On the other hand, other shows (like SNL) almost have to be there given the sheer longevity and influence.

.... I have to admit, I am somewhat surprised that the Muppet Show has 6 votes, but Mr. Show has zero. I love the Muppet Show, but no love for Mr. Show?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
.... I have to admit, I am somewhat surprised that the Muppet Show has 6 votes, but Mr. Show has zero. I love the Muppet Show, but no love for Mr. Show?
Well speaking for myself I’ve heard of the Muppet Show. No idea what that other one is!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well speaking for myself I’ve heard of the Muppet Show. No idea what that other one is!

It was a great, absolutely great sketch show with Bob Odenkirk ("Better Call Saul") and David Cross ("Tobias Funke") that aired on HBO for four seasons in the late 90s.

Netflix recently did a "reboot" (called W/ Bob and David) that had some really funny moments, but lacked the all-star comedic shops and writing of the original. You can never re-capture lightning in a bottle.

On the other hand, other shows (like SNL) almost have to be there given the sheer longevity and influence.

This is exactly why I voted for SNL. Part of me really wanted to vote for SCTV instead, as I think that it's funnier on a per-show basis. But if you sum up all of the best sketches of SNL over time, SCTV can't hold a candle to it.

As someone who voted for Key and Peele over Chappelle's Show, I am legitimately surprised to see K&P with more votes than CS.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am a little sad you omitted The Whitest Kids you Know from the list. Not consistently great but man, some of those episodes and skits were amazing.

Remove ads