D&D 5E Green flame ?

Hello,

I recently saw the some recordings of Adquisitions Incorporated and noticed that when the DM says 'green flame' the audience would shout 'green flame'.

Other D&D products mention the 'green flame', for example the spell Green Flame blade in the 5e's PHB, the green flames on the eyes and mouth of the Beastmaster's hounds from the Wild hunt from AD&D's Tale of the Planes, or in the 5e's adventure 'Banquet if the Damned that was recently given away free in the Dragon+ magazine. There may be others cases but I am not aware of them.

I made a quick search about this but didnt find the explanation. Surely someone here knows the story so please share what is the green flame? why is it special? how does it relate to the d&d universe?

Thank you in advance!

According to TVTropes:

As the party descended into Halaster's labyrinth in season 7, Chris came up with a way for the audience to participate in live events: whenever someone at the table said "green flame" or mentioned fire of said color in any way or form, the entire crowd was supposed to echo it (which, apparently, is a reference to Big Trouble in Little China). By season 8, it seems to have become a meme, since every fire in the Forgotten Realms is now apparently colored green—to the delight of the cheering (and diligently participating) audience.

I'm a bit skeptical on it being a reference to Big Trouble in Little China. There were lots of different colors of flame in that movie. The plot point revolved around green eyes.

But anyway, that's the story. There's nothing deeper there. It's Chris Perkins all the way down.

According to TVTropes:

I'm a bit skeptical on it being a reference to Big Trouble in Little China. There were lots of different colors of flame in that movie. The plot point revolved around green eyes.

But anyway, that's the story. There's nothing deeper there. It's Chris Perkins all the way down.

Thank you very much, it is exactly the answer I was looking for!! I'm glad this is something new and not some meta-plot from the past which I missed.

Remove ads