• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

grell basic melee attack: does this look right to you?

i'm using some MM critters in the coming dungeon adventure, and am reviewing the basic melee attack for the grell (MM p.144).

tentacle rake (standard; at-will) • poison
reach 2; +12 vs AC; 3d8+4 damage, and the target is slowed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends both).

the grell is a lvl 7 elite soldier. the fact that this is a basic melee attack means it can do this on an opportunity attack. is it me, or does that damage seem like a lot--even apart from the slowness or attack penalty inflicted? there's no errata for this so i guess this must be intentional.

but it seems really overpowered to me. am i alone in thinking this?

ed

kouk

First Post
I don't think it's a big deal really.

The Grell doesn't have Threatening Reach, so it can't make OAs against nonadjacent targets. Also, in my experience, PCs rarely provoke OAs from enemies for any reason short of their own plans involving a friendly Fighter or Paladin.

After the first time it hits, they won't do it again though. Unless of course you fill the encounter with enemies that grant basic attacks like candy, then it could get rough, but I suspect the Grell will die before it gets any more than one OA.

But, you're the DM. Add another attack to function as an OA if you want.

abyssaldeath

First Post
They look worse on paper then they are in play. Yes they do high damage, but they are really a one trick pony. Attack, grab and stun are the only things they do and the have low defenses compared to the other 7lvl elites. They are quite nasty, but other elites of that level are more effective against multiple opponents and not exactly lacking in the damage department.

kouk: good points...i didn't realize how infrequently PCs trip an OA but you're absolutely right there.

abyssaldeath: you're right, the defenses are a bit low for a level 7 elite.

all right, i think i'm OK. thanks, guys!

ed

Remove ads