• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grey Region Toronto - Dead?

Random Axe

Explorer
A shout out to other Toronto gamers -- what happened to the Grey Region Comics & Gaming shop on Yonge downtown?

It's not like I didn't see it coming from way down the Parkway... but there wasn't even any notice on the front window saying that it's moved somewhere.

Anybody have any inside scoop on this FLGS?

AllisterH

First Post
Adventurers killed it and took its stuff.

AFAICT, Grey Region closed without notice or fanfare.

RC

Was Grey Region the one that was tucked away on a second floor and was somewhat opposite the big HMV store?

(I went to school at UofT and I got my first pack of REVISED M:TG cards from there I think...or was it another store called 477?...It's been over a decade since I've been downtown Toronto)

Raven Crowking

First Post
Was Grey Region the one that was tucked away on a second floor and was somewhat opposite the big HMV store?

(I went to school at UofT and I got my first pack of REVISED M:TG cards from there I think...or was it another store called 477?...It's been over a decade since I've been downtown Toronto)

You are thinking of Hairy Tarantula. That one's still around (and has an excellent selection).

RC

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hairy Tarantula is the one on Yonge, near Dundas. It has an amazing selection of everything, and a used book room in back. No cell phone policy bugs me, but they have a lot of reasonably priced trades (no loose issues, tho). It's not across from the HMV, tho it is near by. In fact, it's across from a massive, glowing lights strip club: turn away from naked ladies, and you end up in a gaming store; ignore the irony and buy stuff?

410 Yonge is near College, and has magic cards galore. it's well organized, and has monday night rpga (which I can never make it out to!). I end up buying stuff there, as it has a good selection and prices on 4e stuff. Upstairs gaming tables out the wazoo.

One Million Comics: no rpg stuff, north of 410 on Yonge, south of Gray Region. Good comics and amazing statuettes and t-shirts, and genuinely friendly staff (ignoring the fact they seem like mobsters; they're just Italian).

Gray Region sucks. They had bad customer service, and the gaming room was simply a pile of non-rotating stock from the early 90s. Prices were way inflated, and I constantly felt gauged. Only the minis were ok, but that's if you like painting metal minis from obscure companies (which I would, if I painted minis). I found a copy of Rober Jordan's Wheel of Time d20 there, among some old Al Qadim 2nd hand modules. Yeah, old.

StarFyre

Explorer
Hairy Tarantula rocked...

years ago, i remember when they gave us a preview of an upcoming radia ad.

It said: "we're at 'whatever #' yonge street, 2nd floor, right across from the..uhm..uhm..Zanzibar"

I love Zanzibar :D

:)

Fire - a friend of mine; whose also a player in my game, he plays/dms at the monday night RPGA FR games..

Sanjay

Random Axe

Explorer
Gray Region sucks. They had bad customer service, and the gaming room was simply a pile of non-rotating stock from the early 90s. Prices were way inflated, and I constantly felt gauged. Only the minis were ok, but that's if you like painting metal minis from obscure companies (which I would, if I painted minis). I found a copy of Rober Jordan's Wheel of Time d20 there, among some old Al Qadim 2nd hand modules. Yeah, old.
But it's too bad they didn't give out any warning of impending doom and put on some sort of fire sale. I would have loved to pick up some of that "old" stuff for an OOB sale.

Remove ads