Greyhawk vs Dragonlance vs Forgotten Realms vs Mystara vs Birthright

Which medieval D&D setting is your favorite?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Mystara

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 3.8%

Alexander123

First Post
I have actually never played in a dragonlance game but I loved the novels. Games in dragonlance do seem to have an epic plotline and I also like to start small.

Icyshadowlord

First Post
Personally, I would go with either Eberron or Greyhawk, though I happen to like Forgotten Realms as well. I don't know much about DragonLance or the other settings (though I am sort-of familiar with Dark Sun)

In the end, I voted Greyhawk because it somehow seems to be the very foundation of the 3.5 edition stuff like the pantheon and such things. My second option would have been Eberron, mostly for reasons that have already been mentioned here by some.

the-golem

Explorer
Kalamar for me

This. As far as a setting goes, this is probably one of the most developed ones I've seen as of yet. (It's got an Atlas even :p)

Aside from that, Greyhawk. Dragonlance is alright, aside from the whole meta-plot thing going on. I prefer my characters to BE the story, not take a minor role in it. The same goes for FR too, pretty much. I guess there are too many "big names" in FR for me to be content with. Not that this is bad, but not my cup of tea.

Mystara ... I dunno much about it, tbh. Birthright either, even though I'm pretty sure I bought the boxed set on a whim for that setting. The logo excited me!

Eberron, although the premise is nice, I wouldn't classify it as "medieval" I'd describe it more like industrial-era, but with magic as technology. I'm just guessing that's why it wasn't included.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I had to vote Greyhawk. It was a tough choice between it and Mystara. The "classic" 1e/2e Forgotten Realms is a very close third.

I like Dragonlance more for the novels.

Turjan

Explorer
I don't know enough about Mystara or Birthright to judge them, and I certainly dislike Dragonlance. Which leaves Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. I guess that, just from the concept, I like Greyhawk somewhat better, but the Forgotten Realms are the place of many fond memories, so I have to go with them.

There is nothing "medieval" about the Realms, though. They don't even have a sliver of a medieval feel to them.

Remove ads