D&D 5E Greyhawk: Why We Need Mo' Oerth by 2024

Cruentus

Adventurer
~Whips out Reaper hood and scythe~

Way ahead of ya.
Please share! (y)

I tried to work with various hacks, changes, alt rules, optional rules from the DMG, and nothing really seemed to work well, and it was a huge pull, basically reworking the entire system. Now, don't get me wrong, I love 5e's "simplicity", and some of what they did, but it was too much to wrangle.

I ended up moving back to 2e, AND setting my game in Greyhawk. Feels so much more natural.

I'd really be interested in WOTC took Greyhawk and started with the Sidekicks rules, or the Survivors from Van Richten's which then roll into "Sidekicks" as a way to make the setting more grounded, less "power" everywhere, and then be able to add the old school magic in in a real way.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Officially, no, but a lot of them include setting book-like material for whatever region is in focus.
I mean, officially they are considered Setting support by WotC staff. But they van have their cake and eat it, too, since they are easily transferred to just about any official or homebrew Setting.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Officially, no, but a lot of them include setting book-like material for whatever region is in focus.
Yeah. Icewind Dale, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, Tomb of Annihilation, Tyranny of Dragons, Storm King's Thunder, Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, and so on all serve as mini gazetteers for popular sections of the Forgotten Realms. Many of the gazetteers included in these adventure books are of higher quality than the adventures contained within them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah. Icewind Dale, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, Tomb of Annihilation, Tyranny of Dragons, Storm King's Thunder, Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, and so on all serve as mini gazetteers for popular sections of the Forgotten Realms. Many of the gazetteers included in these adventure books are of higher quality than the adventures contained within them.
Depends on what you mean by "The Sdve ture." If you look at them as Gazateers with loads of modular buts and pieces, they are all pretty great. Lego Sets full of bricks, not pre-built models.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So what. I'm not going to buy an adventure just so I can glean through it for tidbits on a region. There is only one FR setting book and that's The Sword Coast.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So what. I'm not going to buy an adventure just so I can glean through it for tidbits on a region. There is only one FR setting book and that's The Sword Coast.
It is pretty effective, actually. Detailing a region with a central theme (Waterdeep and urban adventure, Icewind Dale and freezing your butt off, etc.) is pretty good for creating Adventuring sabdboxes.

Remove ads