• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Grim Tales] A grimmer DC for massive damage?

Galethorn

First Post
So, I've been thinking; MDT being based on Con is a [Good thing] as far as I'm concerned, but I don't like that the DC to resist it is a fixed 15. So, does anybody have a tried and true way of making the DC scale a bit more?

I've thought of various methods (DC10 +1 per 5 pts of damage, DC = 5+(Damage)/2, etc.), but can't find anything that would really work in play.

Any ideas?

Wulf?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Galethorn said:
I don't like that the DC to resist it is a fixed 15.

Before you change anything, think.

Take a careful look at the average Fort saves of Grim Tales characters.

This ain't no D&D-- lower saves across the board and no cloaks of resistance lying about.

Boil it all down and what do you have?

Let's say you manage to get yourself up to a +12 Fort save. (Try it out, see exactly what that would take.)

You only risk dying on a 1 or a 2.

Even a 10% chance of dying to a failed MDT save is pretty high.

Think about it.

Most players I know wouldn't even risk a 10% chance of spell failure for their wizard.

So why would you want to play a character with a 10% chance dropping and dying-- with death, in all likelihood, a permanent situation?

Leave the Fort save DC alone, and use the Mooks rule (enemy mooks always automatically fail the Fort save). This will make the enemy drop and die as expected, and protect the heroes, while still preserving some sense of danger.

And it doesn't get any better as you go up in levels. Yes, your Fort save improves. You'll "improve" to the dreaded "Just don't roll a 1..." situation. That doesn't make losing a very high level character any easier.

Trust me, there's not much fun in raising the Fort DC. It will please only the DM.

Wulf

Galethorn

First Post
Hrm...I just looked at what it would take, and I see what you mean.

Oh well...I'll find some other way to tinker with things...

Speaking of which, I have another variant I've been thinking about...

Ok, so, I've decided to go with the whole healing converts lethal damage to non-lethal thing, but I'd like to know what the ramifications of that would be.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I dunno, Wulf.

I've used the MDT DC = 10 + (1/2 Damage) for two games now and nobody's really complained.

Note that PCs also have Action Points at their disposal, making each of those MDT saves at, on average, 3 points higher than listed. I've only had one player drop to -1 from an MDT. It's not instant death, it's "dying".

This was on a true MDT and the save was almost impossible, as he took 25 points of damage. But it was a confirmed crit on a big damage weapon and a bit of a lesson for the PCs (my intention) on keeping their heads down.

--fje

reanjr

First Post
Galethorn said:
Ok, so, I've decided to go with the whole healing converts lethal damage to non-lethal thing, but I'd like to know what the ramifications of that would be.

The ramifications in battle are pretty much that healing is useless except as a means to stop someone from dying. It won't help stop them from dropping. After battle, 1 hp/hour/level means that the characters are going to rest after a battle for probably an hour or two instead of moving on right away to get into their next romp.

Galethorn

First Post
Well, as it stands, my PCs are pretty good about not waiting to rest until either they're done with an area/situation/whatever (i.e. string of encounters making up part of an adventure), or when somebody is close to dead. Now that healing has entered the picture, my hope is that they'll use it to keep people from dying, rather than prolonging 'operational time' in battle.

Fenris

Adventurer
Galethorn said:
Speaking of which, I have another variant I've been thinking about...

Uh.... This is Grim Tales. What healing would you be speaking of? All you really have is the heal skill, resting and action points. And I would leave the expending of precious action points to heal lethal damage fully.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
HeapThaumaturgist said:
I dunno, Wulf.

I've used the MDT DC = 10 + (1/2 Damage) for two games now and nobody's really complained.

I take it no one's died yet, then. ;)

As long as the Fort save roll to stabilize from dying is consistent, you can tinker to your heart's desire.

But again, the only person it's really going to please is the GM. There's no compelling reason to drop PCs out of a fight. You have to really think this one through from both sides of the screen and remember the emphasis is on the story. You need tension, yes, but you also need fun (and continuity).

Wulf

Remove ads