• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GRs Thieves World products - are you excited?

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Well, I really looking forward to the four upcoming Thieves World Campaign Books by Green Ronin -Thieves World Players Guide (the main Campaign Book), Murder at the Vulgar Unicorn (adventure), Shadowspans Guide to Sanctuary (history & NPCs galore) and Thieves World Gazetteer (more of the surrunding world).

My group and me had the honor of playtesting the Players Guide and the Adventure. Green Ronin did a fantastic job in converting the TW flair into solid mechanics. Lynn Abbey was involved in the whole process, so you can be sure, that all is 100% official and fully approved.

Are you excited too?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Tharen the Damned said:
.... My group and me [correction: I] had the honor of playtesting the Players Guide and the Adventure. Green Ronin did a fantastic job in converting the TW flair into solid mechanics. Lynn Abbey was involved in the whole process, so you can be sure, that all is 100% official and fully approved.

Are you excited too?

What did they do to 'convert' TW?

I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't use the 'True 20' system for TW (thus giving 'true 20' a dark non-PC counterpart to BR). Yet another d20 variant does not really interest me that much -- though I will probably look into it, for nostalgia's sake (I liked the old Chaosium product, back in the day).

Tharen the Damned

First Post
Akrasia said:
What did they do to 'convert' TW?

I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't use the 'True 20' system for TW (thus giving 'true 20' a dark non-PC counterpart to BR). Yet another d20 variant does not really interest me that much -- though I will probably look into it, for nostalgia's sake (I liked the old Chaosium product, back in the day).

I do not know how the True D20 works, but I think most Gamers know D20 pretty well. So GR used this instead of the True D20.

The main idea behind Thieves World (and all other adapted products by Green Ronin) is to fit the rules to the setting and not vice versa.

This means they changed the massive damage rules to make it more gritty.
They took away the races and added nationalities instead (which use different mechanics)
They changed the magic system to fit the setting (but you still use the PHB spells and for that matter, you can use spells from other sources too).
They changed some core classes (wizard/sorcerer to mage and cleric to priest).
They dropped some core classes (obviously a PHB Paladin or a Monk would not fit the setting) and added new ones (eg. the Savant citing Robert Schwalb:The savant class is like a suped-up expert)
Mix in some new uses for old skills, some new feats* and some Prestige classes**.
And there goes Thieves World D20

You can read a more detailed description in Robert Schwalb developers Journal:
TW Developers Journal

If you loved the old Chaosium product, you will love this too!

*most of which make only sense in the TW setting
**these are NOT Generic "Mystic-Theurge" PRCs but are designed for TW. If you know the Books, you can even guess which Character has which Prestige Class.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Tharen the Damned said:
I do not know how the True D20 works, but I think most Gamers know D20 pretty well. So GR used this instead of the True D20.

'True 20' is based on Green Ronin's 'Mutants and Masterminds' system, and was used for their 'Blue Rose' game. It is very similar to 'd20', but vastly more streamlined.

Given that GR already used standard 'd20' to produce their 'Black Company' book, I'm disapponted they didn't go with their home system for Thieves' World. Oh well. The stuff that you mentioned sounds okay (especially getting rid of the standard magic classes), though I loathe prestige classes in general.

edemaitre

Explorer
D20 Thieves' World

I'm definitely looking forward to the D20 "Thieves World" books, since I own all the anthologies and novels and have been a fan since I began playing D&D years ago. Although I've been favorably impressed with the "True 20" rules system, I actually prefer D20, since such supplements will then be compatible with more of the game worlds out there.

I'm also willing to give Green Ronin the benefit of the doubt regarding changes to classes, skills, feats, spells, etc. because of its strong track record with products like "Testament." I'll be lurking in Sanctuary's back alleys soon, and I'm also psyched to see "Mutants and Masterminds" 2nd Ed...

Erekose

Eternal Champion
As a Thieves World fan I'm keen to see the Thieves World Players Guide out of general interest rather than using it as a setting.

However, as we tend to play a uncommon (but powerful) magic campaigns I'll be interested in seeing what they've done to teh d20 system. In the same way I'm keen to see Iron heroes.

Remove ads