• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL for Dummies

Gruns

Explorer
Hey all.
I've noticed a complete and utter lack of free, fan made, not for sale, just free 4E adventures. Is this due to the GSL? While I am familiar with it in the vein of "The GSL sucks" outcries, I really dont know any of the details. So I ask the intelligent and legalize deciphering types here at ENworld a question:
(This is under the assumption that I am NOT going to pay $5000 or $10,000 or whatever it costs to be GSL certified...)

Could I produce a 4E adventure and throw it up on a website for people to download freely?
If so, are there any such websites around anymore?

Just wondering...
Gruns

vagabundo

Adventurer
Hey all.
I've noticed a complete and utter lack of free, fan made, not for sale, just free 4E adventures. Is this due to the GSL? While I am familiar with it in the vein of "The GSL sucks" outcries, I really dont know any of the details. So I ask the intelligent and legalize deciphering types here at ENworld a question:
(This is under the assumption that I am NOT going to pay $5000 or $10,000 or whatever it costs to be GSL certified...)

Could I produce a 4E adventure and throw it up on a website for people to download freely?
If so, are there any such websites around anymore?

Just wondering...
Gruns

I'm unclear on some of legalities surrounding the GSL regarding free to download adventures - however I know Goodman Games produces OGL adventures that are 4e compatible.

However the statement I have highlighted above is false; there is no buy-in to sign up for the GSL. There is simply a form letter to be filled out and some time to wait.

Jack99

Adventurer
GSL doesn't cost anything to get certified, other than a stamp. And as long as you do not charge money for your adventure, WotC doesn't care, GSL or no GSL.

And for the record, there are several free 4e adventures around.

EP

First Post
What you're talking about would fall under their new fan policy (which I have not read). We produce free 4E stuff through our Combat Advantage e-zine but also sell 4E products as well. It really depends on what you're planning to do with it and it's worth the quick search on WotC's site.

Remove ads