• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL news.

Roland55

First Post
D'karr said:
Is this another case of tempest in a teapot?

Well, I think there is an actual teapot -- that would be the GSL.

But since no one has actually seen it, this particular tempest is actually occurring in the mere rumor of a teapot.

Voltaire would be proud. Possibly also Mr. Swift.

So would I, if I wasn't seeing so much genuine upset. Instead, I hope something definitive will happen ... and soon. I haven't seen this much upset over vapor since ... well, it's been quite awhile. :cool:

Greg K

Legend
JohnRTroy said:
I really wasn't trying to tar and feather open gaming fans. The concept is ideal, I just don't think it's the majority opinion, and I do think at times some people start worrying more about the ideal than, for instance, whether or not 4e will actually be the game they want to play.

See, I already know that 4e is not the game that I want to play. I was looking forward to a 4e since before Mearls joined WOTC. I have read WOTC design and development articles , designer blogs, listened to podcasts, and read both the so called 3e test products (e.g., Star Wars: SE, TOB: Bo9S, MM V) and actual 4e material that WOTC has offered to date. I like many of the stated goals. I even like a couple of specific items. However, the majority of the actiual implementations revealed, I am not fond of. In fact, many of the things being changed are done so in a way that I consider to be worse than the current edition, third party fixes, or mechanics presented in existing WOTC rpg supplements (not limited to just DND) .

To be honest, I would be pleasantly surprised if fans decided to stick with 3e, but if that happened
Granted, I will too. I do believe the majority of 3e gamers will go to 4e. However, of the 3e gamers that I personally know and have spoken with, none are switching to 4e and neither are their groups. They don't like what they have read of 4e on WOTC or heard from others about some of the new mechanics. People in their groups are not interested nor are the people that they have talked to in thier extended gaming communities (e.g., LARP groups).

(a) I doubt it will solely be based on the ideal of open gaming and (b) I'm more critical of the fans of open gaming engaging in severe hyperbole by doing what Chris Pramas called being stating their opinions are "facts so obvious that a drunk blind man on an acid trip could see them". There needs to be a little perspective in this, that's all.

True. Even in my case, it not the ideal of open gaming that will keep me playing 3e-It is a combination of factors. However, the third party support has played a large factor in keeping me with 3e to this point. If not for third party offerings, I would have left 3e a long time ago. Third parties have given me alternate magic systems that I like, a take on mind powers that prefer to psionics, new classes presented in a supplement format that I like, etc. In contrast, while I like much of DND, I don't particularly care for the support material that comes out from WOTC. I tend not to like direction taken, the crunch, fluff and mechanics, etc. In most WOTC DND supplements, I am luck to find 5-10 pages to my liking. Of the WOTC non-core books/non-setting DND books, I consider only about a dozen to be worth owning. Of these dozen or so books, only 1 or 2 are a race/class book (actually, none are race books). Yet, if not for the third party supplements keeping me playing, I would never have been around to have bought any of the 3e WOTC supplements that I do like.

The same holds true for d20M. I like d20M, In fact, unlike core 3.x DND, I have only one major complaint about the d20M core rules - the fx rules (the WOTC support material is another story). However, if not for Blood and Fists, I never would have checked out d20M. And, if not for third parties, I would dropped d20M on the fx rules alone. However, the Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin), Elements Magic: Mythic Earth ( EN Publishing) offered me replacements for fx rules and kept me. RPGObects, The Game Mechanics (for d20M Player's Companion), and Adamant have only improved the game with their support which is far better, imo, to the WOTC supplements.

I have also kept other people in the d20 fold simply by recommending d20 third party products and OGL games.

Just last week, somebody I discovered to be a gamer was about to leave 3e. This person is one of those people I mentioned above having completely no interest in 4e. Until speaking with me, he had no knowledge that third party material existed. He wasn't happy with WOTC supplements and had a few issues with the core rules. Interestingly, they were some of my issues. So, I directed him toward Unearthed Arcana (ok, this is WOTC, but he liked my description of the Death and Dying Rules and some other things in the book), EN Publishing (for the various Elements of Magic books), Green Ronin (for the Psychic's Handbook and a few other products), and Malhavoc (primarily for BOIM, but to check other things as well). I don't know whether or not these products will keep him with 3e. However, he is interest in learning more about them and checking out this site to learn more about d20 and OGL offerings in general. So, that is a start. If not, I also interested him in checking out both True20 (which 4e has renewed my interest in) and M&M ( he is coming to my M&M game next week).

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
Zil said:
I hear this all the time
I do to, but only on message boards. However, I also remember that a large part of TSR's financial woes had to do in part to large volumes of either books or magazine being returned or having to be refunded.

but you know what, I really liked a lot of what came out of TSR at that time.
We liked having all those different settings, variant rules like the C&T and Skills and Powers. It was an exciting time - at least with our group. All of the variety was good for the consumer (albeit perhaps not so much for TSR). .

I hear you. I didn't like Skills and Powers, but I liked a lot what TSR released at that time as well- not everything, but a lot. I still like several of the Complete Handbooks (Thief being my favorite) and prefer them to WOTC's 3e Complete books (which, imo, benefit only from having a better underlying mechanical system in the d20 system). I also liked PO: Spells and Magic, PO: Combat and Tactics, and several of the settings.

When WoTC shut down all those variant settings, I was disappointed and kept hoping more of them would be spun off to third party publishers so I could see new stuff for our favorite settings. Monoculture in the D&D sphere isn't all that interesting to me.
Yeah, I was too.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
D'karr said:
Is this another case of tempest in a teapot?

Ultimately, I think so.

Open Content in any sort tends to attract some pretty dedicated zealots to the concept.

There is a real concern though, about WotC preventing companies from supporting both 3.5 and 4th edition. While some of that concern is warranted, this is something that matters far more to the 3rd party publishers than it does to the customers.

Why?

I think that people who decide to stick to 3rd Edition are not really going to care if their favorite company cannot make 4th Edition content. On top of that, while producing products for both versions of the game is a viable bridge strategy, it does not make a whole lot of sense in the long term. Sooner or later a company is going to have to choose one or the other anyway.

END COMMUNICATION

Wolfspider

Explorer
Lord Zardoz said:
I think that people who decide to stick to 3rd Edition are not really going to care if their favorite company cannot make 4th Edition content. On top of that, while producing products for both versions of the game is a viable bridge strategy, it does not make a whole lot of sense in the long term. Sooner or later a company is going to have to choose one or the other anyway.

Why?

Imaro

Legend
Lord Zardoz said:
Ultimately, I think so.

Open Content in any sort tends to attract some pretty dedicated zealots to the concept.

There is a real concern though, about WotC preventing companies from supporting both 3.5 and 4th edition. While some of that concern is warranted, this is something that matters far more to the 3rd party publishers than it does to the customers.

Why?

END COMMUNICATION

You fail to consider the fact that just because customer 1 and customer 2 are both Paizo, Green Ronin/etc. fans doesn't mean both want to switch to 4e or stay with 3e. So then this provision forces the company to, instead of actually catering to their total fanbase, cater only to a subset of it. This in the end is either bad for customer 1 or customer 2 depending upon which choice the company makes. So IMHO, it affects customers and publishers.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Hussar said:
Because dual stat books turn people off. And developing and publishing two sets of every book is too expensive.

I didn't think that Lord Zardoz was talking about dual statted books but rather a company producing books for both 3.5 and 4e....

kave99

First Post
Dausuul said:
Wizards can afford to not have any "big" 3rd party players move to 4E... because "big" in the 3PP world is miniscule by most standards, including WotC's.

3rd party support for 3ed is a cancer that WotC cant afford to support, look at how many guys still play 1st and 2nd ed without any support at all. so they will do all they can to mitigate the impact of the OGL and I cant blame them. if all go's well 4th ed will be a grate success and most of us will be hear in 10 years complaining that we don't have info on 5th ed. if 4th ed ends up sucking big time, well then "we" have a problem, a big problem. because a lot of good people will loss there jobs over it and we will be poorer for it. WotC's ability to reach out and grab the non gamer at the book store and lead them to the light of RPG's is unsurpassed and with out it the hole industry will sufer...

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
I didn't think that Lord Zardoz was talking about dual statted books but rather a company producing books for both 3.5 and 4e....

Wolf Spider gets it right, and wins the prize. Here, have a semicolon.

;

Imaro said:
You fail to consider the fact that just because customer 1 and customer 2 are both Paizo, Green Ronin/etc. fans doesn't mean both want to switch to 4e or stay with 3e. So then this provision forces the company to, instead of actually catering to their total fanbase, cater only to a subset of it. This in the end is either bad for customer 1 or customer 2 depending upon which choice the company makes. So IMHO, it affects customers and publishers.

I suppose you do have a point about that. However, I was being a bit more draconian, and going with the notion that for fan 2 who wanted Green Ronin / Paizo to make the same choice as him would soon end up decide either to follow is favored company, or that the company was no longer his favorite.

I am also considering a slightly longer timescale, say 1.5 to 2 years after 4th edition launches. If people are still complaining about this at that point, than I will admit to being wrong, and award you the coveted semi colon.

END COMMUNICATION

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads