Guardians of Order's death-a confirmation

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I still have my copy of the first edition of Big Eyes Small Mouth, which I got at Gen Con in 1997 - ironically, it was a free prize I won at the Hades Pro Anime Room. I've been a fan of Guardians of Order ever since. It's a sad day, today, to see them close their doors.

Best of luck to Mark, and I hope he finds good homes for his games. I'm still going to be hunting for a copy of Advanced d20 Magic at Gen Con this year.

Glyfair

Explorer
I have to admit, I thought they had already folded. I remember discussions before the Game of Thrones RPG was released that they were about to fold, but had the book done and were looking for a way to get it published. I knew the game was released, but those discussions had me convinced that the company was done once it was out the door.

Still, knowing that Mr. Martin is a gamer himself, I'm sure the game will survive if possible. I wouldn't be suprised if another publisher would be willing to pick it up (Mongoose? Green Ronin? ).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Personally, I paid $9 for their Trigun d20 book, and I feel ripped off. If I had paid the MSRP (which I think was $40?) I would have been steaming mad. If all their products are like that, the real question is, how did they stay in business so long...

BadMojo

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Personally, I paid $9 for their Trigun d20 book, and I feel ripped off. If I had paid the MSRP (which I think was $40?) I would have been steaming mad. If all their products are like that, the real question is, how did they stay in business so long...

Not sure about their D20 stuff, but the TriStat stuff was good. BESM isn't really my genre, but it seemed well-written and the TriStat system looked fine to me.

They had a lot of talented writers and some cool licensed properties (Games of Thrones, The Authority, Tekumel, etc.)

Having seen a lot of their books, I can see why the hurtin' US dollar helped do them in. Their books, especially Game of Thrones and Nobilis, looked like coffee table books. Seemed very expensive to print.

It's a shame that besides GoO, this is going to effect the writers who were going through Magnum Opus to get their stuff out there.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
trancejeremy said:

Do you ever post a positive opinion on any subject?

Not that you should necessarily like Trigun, but you seem one of the most relentlessly negative commentators I've ever come across.

A Game of Thrones
Ex Machina
The Authority
BESM
Tekumel
Silver Age Sentinels
Dreaming Cities

They've had a lot of seriously cool products

Trigun isn't their Magnum Opus...thanks for focusing on it.

Last edited:

Remove ads