D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

Matau99

Explorer
Looks like you also missed Dawn, a 5th-level spell in XGTE. If you have some way to hold them there, it's 8d10 in one turn with an ongoing 4d10, and it looks like it's built to kill vampires. Plus, you can move it. But overall, I feel sickening radiance may be better at a level lower.

jontherev

First Post
Nice guide, thanks for the effort. The flaming sphere + pyrotechnics trick doesn't work now since xanathar's changed pyrotechnics to only affect a NONmagical flame...so it won't affect the flaming sphere at all.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Hey All. Since we finally got some new subclasses and spells, I updated the guide. I also added in all the new races, and revised some ratings and descriptions based on a few more years of gameplay experience. It's already updated on google drive. I'll work on updating the version in to post as well. I've decided not to include UA at all, since I don't feel like keeping up with all the different versions. As always, I welcome your comments and ideas!

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Does anyone have any tips on copying the color formatting from G docs or word into the forum? It converts all the text to black when I copy-paste.

kman600

First Post
Finally made an account so I can comment on this post. This guide is fantastic! I have been using it off and on for YEARS. I really appreciate everything you have done here. Question: Now that Matthew Mercer's new book, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is out, Do you plan on adding in those two new subclasses and the new spells?

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Hey kayman, thanks! I am glad you are finding it useful.

YEP, I have addressed Wildemount (as well as several other updates) in the linked google doc. It's a real pain to update the OP so I haven't bothered.

delph

Explorer
Hi, I'm a little confused about using Divination Wizard preprepared dices to enemies with Indomitable or advance on some saves. What will come then? They have to use those numbers that Divination wizard have as final result or can use their reroll?

TheBigHouse

Explorer
Hi delph,

Here is my interpretation. Portent replaces the attack roll / saving throw. This means that your portent dice becomes the result of the entire roll, not just one dice. So, if a creature has advantage / disadvantage it does not matter. He does not get to roll dice at all, just uses your result.

On the other hand, Indomitable allows you to re-roll a result. Therefore, if you use portent on his first roll, that's the result. The enemy could then use indomitable to re-roll that result.

Similarly, a character could use the lucky feat to roll an additional d20 when you use portent and take the result of their choice.

Remove ads