D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

NADRIGOL

Explorer
Regarding a dip in Cleric, what is everyone's thoughts about the Arcana domain?

I think you summed it up well. Cantrips being the only spells you can't pick up later, I tend to value these rather highly as long as you can think of broad-level uses for those you pick up. The skills in question are also all one-off type skills (you know it or don't). I think these should be shared across the party, and they don't seem worth having expertise in to me. I think it really comes down to the style of your DM when it comes to skill checks, and how often you think those extra cantrips will benefit you.

Polarthief

First Post
I think you summed it up well. Cantrips being the only spells you can't pick up later, I tend to value these rather highly as long as you can think of broad-level uses for those you pick up. The skills in question are also all one-off type skills (you know it or don't). I think these should be shared across the party, and they don't seem worth having expertise in to me. I think it really comes down to the style of your DM when it comes to skill checks, and how often you think those extra cantrips will benefit you.

Honestly, I feel like Arcana Expertise will be helpful later down the line, but since this is a League character, I'm more thinking about the short-term stuff. Plus, having Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, and 4 (High Elf ftw) other Wizard Cantrips (Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Shocking Grasp [for my familiar] and Minor Illusion) is just so helpful to have, especially as a Level 2 character. The fact that I have so many Cantrips that the base character sheet can't hold them all is just a great feeling, especially as the ultimate utility character :)

I guess I'll stick with the Arcana domain for now then. Plus, it does fit Wizard a bit better than Knowledge, perhaps. Thanks for your input, Nadrigol!

PSusac

Explorer
If you are going EK/BS and start with EK, you don't get Arcana as a skill. This means your spellbook is going to be hard to grow over time. That's a hell of a trade off.

NADRIGOL

Explorer
But check with your DM about his rules for spell research. If he has rules, they're fairly likely to involve an Arcana roll at some point. Mine do anyway.

I think the point is moot though with RAW being clear. With there already being a GP and time requirement, adding a skill check seems unnecessary. Especially since a DM already has perfect control over spell drops.

I think the point is moot though with RAW being clear. With there already being a GP and time requirement, adding a skill check seems unnecessary. Especially since a DM already has perfect control over spell drops.

I don't believe there are RAW for spell research. It sounds to me like you're talking about copying existing spells, which is completely different.

Sorry, I am talking about copying spells. I assumed that's what PSusac was referencing with their post.

I assume so too--but I was raising a different subject, one which was historically extremely important to spellcasters (e.g. in 2nd edition, researching custom spells to deal with a new threat vector was a common problem response) and is also a ton of fun.

Seriously, if your DM doesn't have spell research rules, encourage him to invent some. And while you're at it, rename all of your current spells with fantastic pompous Vancian names like Phandaal's Instantaneous Arcane Nullifier (Dispel Magic), Nystul's Energetic Wakeup (Thunderwave), Erestul's Travelling Rotisserie (Flaming Sphere), and Fermat's Third Spell of the Prismatic Pattern (Hypnotic Pattern). Every time you copy a spell into your spellbook, give it a custom name. "From henceforth, I shall call this spell Dwenoleena's Awe-Inspiring Fireball."

And read Mazirian the Magician. It's awesome.

Remove ads