D&D 5E [GUIDE] Thy Fearful Symmetry: A Circle of the Moon Handbook

Lejaun

First Post
Wow, now there currently is no Druid Guide available, not even an incomplete one.

I'm no expert with druids, but I'll start working on some basic guides this weekend that can be commented upon, shared, and edited as needed for the D&D community as they see fit.

RCanine

First Post
Wow, now there currently is no Druid Guide available, not even an incomplete one.

Fear not, it's back. I've also added in the SCAG options.

I had something more extensive in mind. Also something, which includes Land Druides, even if they seem to be less popular or maybe even not suitable for an "optimized" character.

There's nothing wrong with the land druid, they're just not as interesting, because all they do is cast spells. There's nothing wrong with spells, but spells tend to be so mechanically distinct that it's hard to write a cohesive guide on choosing them. At best you can highlight what are traps, and what are numerically superior.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=85040]RCanine[/MENTION], thanks for putting this together in the first place. [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] was pulling art out of a burning building so it wasn't lost - he copied several threads over and attributed them to the correct people, not trying to take credit. When the owners showed up for other threads and asked, Morris was petitioned and moved the posts over to their ownership. I believe formatting was done by a tool used to try and mimic formatting of threads from the dying Wizard's boards since it used a different method.

I understand the shock of coming here and finding something with your name on it you had posted elsewhere, but the community is happy we had an archive of your excellent work until you had a chance to put it up (and expand it) yourself.

Last edited:

Nice set of advices, but I had something more extensive in mind. Also something, which includes Land Druides, even if they seem to be less popular or maybe even not suitable for an "optimized" character.

Here's some more random advice:

Exploit Entangle and Goodberry from level 1 onwards, Spike Growth from level 3, and Conjure Animals (giant cobras) from level 5. Druids are powerhouses. Later on you can Planar Bind pixies and dryads for spellcasting backup.

Thorn Whip is usable with Mobile feat.

Mage Armor from a friendly wizard will vastly improve your AC. At level 2, you can be a Giant Hyena with AC 15 and 50+ HP. At level 10, you can be a flying, Mobile Air Elemental with AC 18.

Since you're Mobile anyway, you might as well become an Earth Elemental and do hit-and-run from below, surfacing only long enough to make an attack and then burrowing back down again. Once Archdruid comes online you can use Contagion instead of a strike with your fists, since Contagion is still a melee (spell) attack.

For rampage fun, gather a horde of Mice and use Animal Shapes to transform them all into birds. Fly to your target location and then turn them all into Giant Scorpions or Giant Constrictor Snakes.

Sentinel is a pretty good feat for Moon Druids with melee buddies; it can increase your damage output by 50% to 100% if they target your buddies, and if they target you they're just burning fake HP anyway. Remember, you can always Dodge, even in animal form.

Giant Crocodile form at level 15 gives you two ways of giving advantage to your allies: inflicting prone and restrained. Giant Anaconda form at level 6 gives only Restrained but is still great in a ranged-heavy party.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
  1. Because it bears my name and yet I cannot edit or maintain it
  2. Because the formatting is incorrect and looks terrible
  3. Because if the information is incorrect or obsolete I look bad
  4. Because someone else gets credit/karma/whatever for my work
  5. Because in the US, when you write something, you own it and get to choose how/if it is distributed except for a few fair use cases of which this is not one.

I intentionally didn't migrate my post here. It wasn't a mistake or an oversight. I didn't want it here. That choice was taken from me.

Insults aren't required. I didn't report the post, I'm not saying bad things about the OP. It's just surprise and frustration. Empathy is needed.

I am sorry you're unhappy. There was no time to ask permission directly of everyone, though I did ask it grouped together for all the authors I was pulling in one thread. I also mentioned it in many other threads on the WOTC boards, to make sure word spread.

The way it works is once you see it here (and I tried to contact people directly here as well) Morrus transfers ownership of the thread to you. All you have to do is let someone know you're here. That too was in the post.

The formatting was automatic, and most people here are aware it's not going to look right as this is a different board that cannot copy all formatting perfectly. Sorry I didn't do your post justice.

I did not take any credit for it - indeed I named you as the author in the post. And you did not retain copyright when you posted it to WOTC's rules when you signed up there - they actually had the copyright. I then archived it.

Regardless, nobody tried to take your material from you. A simple message to me would have sufficed. If you want empathy, perhaps try exhibiting it? I am sorry it bothered you though. That was not my intent. Everyone else was happy I moved their stuff over.

Last edited:

RCanine

First Post
I am sorry you're unhappy. … If you want empathy, perhaps try exhibiting it?

All I said was that I was surprised to find my stuff here and I was attacked for it. I don't know how this community works, and I don't know you from Adam. I didn't even know what a Morrus was, let alone that they are petitionable. I'm sure you remember what moderation amounted to on the WotC forums.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
All I said was that I was surprised to find my stuff here and I was attacked for it.

If that were all you had said, you most certainly would not feel attacked right now. You said quite a lot beyond that, much of it accusatory in nature. You even labelled the additional things you said as 1-5 to make it clear you were saying more than just that you were surprised.

I don't know how this community works, and I don't know you from Adam. I didn't even know what a Morrus was, let alone that they are petitionable. I'm sure you remember what moderation amounted to on the WotC forums.

It was in the original thread I posted that the thread would be turned over to the rightful owner as soon as anyone was contacted about it (first sentence). I credited you for this (first sentence also), I made it clear it was your work I was preserving for archival purposes only and that it belonged to you and could be turned over to you at any time, I tried to contact you on both the WOTC board and here. Instead of sending me a message, you basically accused me of copyright theft and stealing credit for your work. You didn't even quote me or use my name to alert me you were saying these things about me, someone else had to link me to your comment. I hope you can see why I might suggest that's a lack of empathy on your part, after you claim people are having a lack of empathy for you?

Last edited:

RCanine

First Post
I made it clear it was your work I was preserving for archival purposes only

My guide was already archived on Google Docs, in a link that's the first line of its content. It could easily have been linked / referred to instead of copied.

Regardless, it's done. We can argue about who should have felt what when over beers some time.

Remove ads