Gust of Wind spell, underwater?

Celebrim

Legend
Fog Cloud is a Conjuration (Creation) and accessible to the White Dragon. There's your (very wet) air supply.

Fog Cloud isn't tagged with the [Air] descriptor, and it belongs to the Clerical 'Water' domain. It's reasonable to assume then that it doesn't conjure air in water, rather it conjures water in air. I see it basically as a 'create diffuse water' spell. It's effects might not even be noticable underwater.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Quite deliberately, in my case.

I rather enjoy the thought exercise of "how can this creature achieve the desired effect with the resources available to it?"

This is exactly what I'm doing. Ultimately it doesn't matter the details, I'm the DM for this encounter, however it's fun to try to plot out the details. I enjoy the feel of a hand carved Dragon lair. So, a two headed powerful creature born with an INT of 6, currently an INT of 10, carved out and customized a living space for herself. How did it happen? This is what I'm trying to work out.

Love is in the details. makes those warm fuzzys for the players to know the DM cares.

nijineko

Explorer
check out the stronghold builders guidebook for some more ideas and fun possibilities. there is a section on walls and wall augmentations.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Isn't there a "Bottle of Air" magic item? I'm sure I've seen it someplace.

BTW: Water doesn't "bubble up" from a spring unless it first came down from someplace else. That is, all such springs are fed from some water source at a higher altitude, so whether it's a spring fed or from a stream, it's still fed by snow melt.

Gravity works, even in a fantasy world.

MarkB

Legend
Water could bubble up from a hot spring. An underground reservoir, heated by geothermal activity, could build up pressure and release water upwards.

I'm guessing a white dragon wouldn't particularly appreciate a hot spring, though. :)

nijineko

Explorer
Isn't there a "Bottle of Air" magic item? I'm sure I've seen it someplace.

BTW: Water doesn't "bubble up" from a spring unless it first came down from someplace else. That is, all such springs are fed from some water source at a higher altitude, so whether it's a spring fed or from a stream, it's still fed by snow melt.

Gravity works, even in a fantasy world.

however, waters of differing salinity can in fact create bubbles where such medium mix. the same thing happens with temperature gradients. you can have "bubbles" of hot water rising in otherwise cold water. at least until the temperature evens out.

TalenOrAvinair

First Post
Is there a current in the water, or is it standing?

If it is standing water, just have the air pocket be above the level of the water. You dive down 20 feet, but the roof of the cavern here is 25 feet, so you have a 5 foot air bubble.

Magic is nice, physics is easy!

Remove ads