Gwendolynn Von Holden's Diary: Can't a girl get some sleep around here?

Eeralai

First Post
Funeris said:
Eeralai,

I'm enjoying the style of this as well. Its nice to have a break from 3rd person narrative on occasion. Keep it up. :D

~Fune

Thanks Funeris! I wasn't sure how the style would go over on ENWorld, so I am very gratified to see that people other than my husband and myself are enjoying it :) BSF's a bit busy at work and getting his campaign going again, but hopefully he'll have sometime to stop by and add more. Sorry to read about your insomnia. I had that problem last summer and the only things that remotely helped were long, warm showers at night and not doing the housework during the day. But, your insomnia is a bonus to your readers :)

To my readers, thanks so much for tuning in! I had wanted to update at least five times a week for the first month, but this week I need to finish making a birthday present for my niece and get the house ready for my daughters first birthday on Thursday. I will probably have little time for updates. But maybe my daughter will be extra tired on Friday, take an extra long nap and I can write an extra long update. Thanks again for reading! :)

Funeris

First Post
Thanks for writing, Eeralai. :D

No need to apologize for the insomnia...it always manifests around the end of summer (and its usually because my mind is overactive with creativity). And while I do suffer other times, I'm not minding this bout so much. It allows me to keep my SH near the top ;)

I'll be here when both you and BSF drop back in.

~Fune

BSF

Explorer
I'm here at times. Mostly my effort has been geared toward jumpstarting my campaign after a summer long hiatus.

What kind of info are you looking for regarding races? Mechanics are rather boring and frankly, for the Thurgon I don't have enough playtesting to know if they are over the top even with LA. But if you are looking for culture and the like, I can summarize to some degree or another.

Hmm, that will clutter the thread though. Not sure if Eeralai wants that. Maybe if I help her with a good menu at the top and rearrange things so the DM commentary is les intrusive? It will give me something to think about.

Funeris

First Post
You wanna post stats...then go ahead. Personally, I'm about the flavor and culture though. Not whether or not they have +2 racial bonus for Search rolls. That's just me, though ;)

Re-ordering it sounds alright...or if you want to you can just send me a word file with the info :D That's if no one else wants to know about the culture, etc.

~Fune

BSF

Explorer
Ack!

Way behind from where I wanted to be. Hopefully I will be able to make up for it this week. BSF, feel free to post background stuff whenever you want. The other players are also welcome to jump in. I find the story our to be very free as far as form goes, which is one of the reasons I wanted to do it. On with the story.

Eeralai

First Post
Back on the Road Day 1

Oops. Didn't realize I was logged in as BSF. Sorry! Now, on with the story:

Back on the Road Day 1

New Powers discovered: 0 but happy still about new distracting power. Times stared at Korliss in amazement: 10; Times caught: 5; Times yelled at donkey for not moving when he should: 7

Back on road to adventure after spending three weeks with priest Boffly. Think I scrubbed more floors there than I did on my farm. Probably did better job at chapel since acolytes kept staring at me and didn’t want them to catch me daydreaming. Donkey doesn’t seem to want to travel anymore. Probably should’ve left him back at temple, but couldn’t part with chest.

Group spent a good hour arguing today about which way to go. Left it mostly to them to decide since I have no idea either way. Just glad arguing's over.

Eeralai

First Post
Day 10, Road, Night

Powers discovered: 0, Times thought of JaliK 43 (Nothing else to do but look at trees all day.) Times stared at Korliss:4; Times group has argued today: 6

Woken up by two grouchy gnomes tonight. Chani spoke to them because she was the only one who spoke gnomish. Tried to speak to them with telepathy, but just got dirty looks. Wonder if I can figure out how to speak in different languages telepathically. Will have to work on that. Anyway, Chani waited until they left to tell us what they were talking about. They wanted us off of their land. Chani told them it was Lord Greerson’s land and they said no and to get out. For some reason, Chani told them we were going to Eastwood, which is apparently where she is from. One of the gnomes cast a spell while the other gnome gave us some rations. They said we have to report back to them on any events that happen to us. Then they said to stay on the path and disappeared. How’re we supposed to report to them when they just disappear? Will have to figure out how to disappear myself.

Eeralai

First Post
Day 12, Road, Afternoon

Horses moving marvelously fast after the gnome cast spells on them. Came to turn on road today that Chani began heading down.

“Where’re you going?” asked Ternell.

“To Eastwood,” said Chani.

“But that’s not the way to Orlane.”

“But that’s where I told the gnomes we were going.”

“But we’re going to Orlane. Why didn’t you tell them we were going to Orlane?”

“They didn’t like Greerson.”

“What does liking Lord Greerson have to do with us going to Orlane and not to Eastwood.”

“I didn’t want them to know we were on a mission for Greerson, so I told them I was going back home. After we’re there for a day or two, we can start back to Orlane.”

“Where you should’ve told them we were going to in the first place.”

“Did you want to fight them?” Chani called Ternell a few names under her breath that I didn’t quite catch, but I don’t think Mother would’ve approved

Last edited:

Eeralai

First Post
Day 14, On Road

We were riding along as usual when a pack of wolves crossed our path. They didn’t take notice of us, but we certainly noticed that the leader had glowing red eyes. Ternell began to ride after it when Korliss shouted, “What are you doing?”

“I’m going after the wolves.”

“They’re not attacking us, and the gnomes told us to stay on the road.”

“But they are evil. I must stop evil.”

“How do you know they are evil. They’re just animals.”

“Didn’t you see the glowing red eyes?”

“You’re gonna judge a creature by that? Pfff. Leave them alone.”

“I don’t know,” said Aaron. “It looked evil to me.”

“I’m going after them,” said Ternell.

“Wait!” exclaimed Chani. “The gnomes said to stay on the path.”

“But they’re evil and I must stop evil!” exclaimed Ternell.

“They’re not bugging anybody,” said Korliss.

“I don’t know,” said Lajon. “What if they’re going after Eastwood and we get there to find the town dead from the wolves.”

“That’s a good point,” I said.

“I’m going,” said Ternell and took off after the wolves. The rest of the group finally followed. I stayed on my horse for the battle, and everyone else dismounted. The battle went pretty well with few surprises, except for when the lead wolf stood on his hind legs and smote Ternell. It took Ternell so much by surprise, that he was unable to return the smite until the wolf had hit him a couple more times. We are all alive, and the wolves are all dead, but what kind of wolf can smite?

Eeralai

First Post
Day 20 Eastwood, Finally

Rode into Eastwood today for a welcome rest. After we fought the wolves, our horses went back to normal. Ran into the gnomes who asked Chani what was taking us so long. If I had known what they were saying I would’ve told them that they should’ve told us the speed spell would be broken if we stepped off the path. I think Chani explained everything to them, but really wouldn’t tell us much of the conversation. Ternell asked her if she had promised them we would be heading back to Fort Greerson now. I don’t think she liked that.

Looking forward to a hot bath and maybe a new power will come to me!

Remove ads