• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gygax v Arneson

Manchu2

First Post
There is a lot of information regarding Gary and Dave's relationship souring and then getting really bad (3 lawsuits); there are a couple of good books about the history of D&D; but I can't find anything to support an idea that when Gary died they had at that point reconciled or were on speaking terms at all. Does anyone have anything to support whether or not the proverbial hatchet was buried?

JeffB

Legend
My impression is they were Cordial when they were at GenCons and such during the 3e days, but never became friends again.

Tim Kask or Frank Mentzer would be the guys to ask. But I don't know if they would get involved in a discussion.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, they reconciled in the 80s. There was a brief window when Gygax was in charge at TSR and brought back Arneson to do the B/X Blackmoor modules. Then Lorraine Williams got rid of Gygax, and Arneson's relationship with TSR also ended.

Later Peter Adkinson settled all outstanding financial claims and was in touch with both of them. Not sure if he tried to do any fence mending then, or if any was needed.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Really wish one of the several attempts at a documentary is completed. Sad, but even documentaries about these guys' lives end up in litigation.

Remove ads