• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hacking the drow

hong

WotC's bitch
Remove:
- spell resistance
- dancing lights, faerie fire, darkness 1/day
- sleep poison

Add:
- invisibility 1/day, duration 1 rd/level
- hide in plain sight 1/day, only in light/no armour
- at 8th level, shadow jump 1/day, only in light/no armour, self only, max distance 10'/level
- at 16th level, ethereal jaunt 1/day, only in light/no armour, duration 1 rd/level

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hong, what is the reasoning behind those changes? Just curious is all.

I changed the flavor of my Drow and then made abilities based upon that. Are we supposed to be telling what we've done with the Drow? Hrm, wonder if someone made a 'Tell me about your Drow' thread.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
hong said:
Remove:
- spell resistance
- dancing lights, faerie fire, darkness 1/day
- sleep poison

Add:
- invisibility 1/day, duration 1 rd/level
- hide in plain sight 1/day, only in light/no armour
- at 8th level, shadow jump 1/day, only in light/no armour, self only, max distance 10'/level
- at 16th level, ethereal jaunt 1/day, only in light/no armour, duration 1 rd/level

Problematic things:

1/ Poison isn't a racial ability, it's just something associated with their culture and/or technology. Taking it away changes the equipment, not the race.

2/ Faerie Fire is actually useful. The other two... meh.

I personally hate "1/day" abilities, so that's probably coloring these next opinions:

Hide in Plain Sight 1/day?! An odd ability for a class that gains no inherent ability to Hide. Also odd in that an ability which requires a skill check and a Move action also has a 1/day limit.

Shadow Jump -- if it's supposed to be similar to what a Shadowdancer gets, just give them that. It's a weak ability when he gets it even with that boost (compared to dimension door), but being able to jump through a 10 ft. wall several times per day has some panache and utility value.

Some "flavor" and/or utility ideas that may come in handy:

Shadow Probe (Sp): Choose a patch of shadow and a direction, and concentrate for 1 round. You learn the distance to the next shadow in that direction. (This is very useful when casing a joint or planning your next Shadow Jump.)

Hide in Plain Shadow (Ex): You can make hide check even when observed, but not in direct illumination. You must be in an area of shadow, shadowy illumination or darkness.

... or you could just give them some bonus Shadow Hand maneuvers & stances. :D

Cheers, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dog Moon said:
Checking out the Shadowcaster in ToM would probably be a better idea though.

Erf. Great flavor, lacking mechanics. Combining a weak race with a weak class... not fun IMHO. :(

-- N

Narsil

First Post
I keep drow as they are, personally, though I remove spell resistance from all things and then I knock the LA down one notch.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads