• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Hackmaster] To anyone who's ever been slightly interested in trying this game out...

Revil Fox

First Post
Ever head the term "Put up or shut up?" Well, Kenzerco has just decided to put up. They're currently running a sale over at their web store where you can get five copies of Hackmaster Basic for a total of $25 + shipping.

I honestly think this is the best Fantasy RPG on the market today, and if you've ever been even slightly curious about this game, I can't recommend enough that you jump on this deal.

frankthedm

First Post
A good number of the panels are walls of text explaining the rules. like these paragraphs explaining a hit {from a counterattack] on a basic goblin.
This free attack does not impinge on his normal sequence of attacks.

Dave rolled a d20p with a result of 13 and adds his +4 Attack Bonus for a total of 17. The GM also rolls d20p getting 15, then adds goblin #4’s +6 Defense Bonus resulting in a total defense of 21. Since the goblin’s 21 defense is greater than El Ravager’s 17 attack, the goblin successfully defended with its shield. Since the goblin blocked El Ravager’s blow with his shield, El Ravager’s attack deals half damage dice (2d4p+3 instead of 4d4p+3) against the shield.

Dave rolls damage and gets 4 and 4. Since Dave rolled the maximum on these dice (i.e., a penetration roll), he gets to roll each die again, subtracting -1 from the result. The rolls this time are 3 and 4, so he subtracts -1 from each for results of 2 and 3. However, since the actual roll penetrated again on one of those dice, he rolls that die again. This time, it’s a 3 and applying the -1 makes it a 2. El Ravager’s total damage is 18 points of damage (die roll 4+(3-1) + die roll 4+(4-1)+(3-1) +3 Damage Bonus = 18).

A small shield sustaining more than 8 points of damage in a single blow may be destroyed. Thus B.A. performed a competing roll to see if the Goblin’s shield was splintered. He checks the Shield Damage chart, then rolls d20-6 for the goblin and gets 12. Dave rolls d20 and gets 15. The shield splinters into several pieces under the weight of El Ravager’s massive blow. (Had Dave done 20 points to the small shield, it would have been automatically broken).

The small shield still applies its Damage Reduction value, however, lowering El Ravager’s damage to the goblin by 4 points.

Its armor further reduces the remaining damage by 2, so El Ravager’s blow causes the goblin to lose 12 hit points (18-4-2=12). That’s a painful blow, but there’s worse to come...

Dave’s 18 gross points of damage is a knockback (since a 10 point hit knocks back Small creatures) that forces the goblin 5 feet rearward. Furthermore, a goblin’s Threshold of Pain is 8 hit points. It sustained a 12 hit point wound from El Ravager’s battle axe so the GM has to make a trauma check for it. The goblin has a ToP Save of 6 thus the GM needs to roll a 6 or less on a d20 for it to shrug off the pain. He rolls an 11, so the goblin is not only knockedback 5 feet, but DOWN and writhing in pain for 30 seconds (5 seconds x (11-6) = 25). Assuming it’s not killed in the interim, it can act again when the Count Up reaches 31.
:devil: And now I'm suspecting they are trying to clearance out a product line straight to consumers rather than through normal (closeout) sales channels. The Hackmaster PHB is due out soon...

EDIT: That said I'm checking with some folks to see if they are interested in this since this IS still a damn low price.

Last edited:

Hard8Staff

First Post
If someone likes second by second, inch by inch, blow by blow tactical combat, they will probably like this. It does sound like a good deal for the price. Me, I'm getting Car Wars flashbacks...
Since the game is free-form where a player *can* take an action any second (but does not *have* to), I can see why you might think that. However, if you were to play even for 30 minutes, you'd quickly realize that combat goes faster and more smoothly than expected. A bonus is no soda break for four players while they wait for the fifth to finish his 'turn'. Since everyone can move every second, players stay involved during combat -- even those not currently engaged with an enemy. If anything, it's stressful due to constant tension. You'll take a break between fights to relax or have a smoke or whatever because it can get so tense.

Played it last weekend. It has some neat mechanics, and it was fun to play. Some needlessly fiddly bits, and shields I think are broken, but worth checking out.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I played HackMaster twice at Gary Con this weekend and combat definitely flows better than one might infer from reading the rules. The count-up initiative kept me engaged and interested in the combat. I've found with some games, waiting for my turn could take 20 minutes or more during which I would lose interest and become bored. The exploding, or penetrating dice when rolling damage really made combat fun, too. A battle axe is a vicious weapon in the hands of a proficient wielder.

lejanius

Explorer
Yeah, but it's still drawn out by having to roll for defense (rather than a fixed AC) and hit point inflation for everything.

Instead of having 30 hit point 1st level PCs and 20 hit point goblins, what was wrong with 10 and 6?

Good question.

It's a design mechanic that handles a couple of design decisions.

1. open ended damage and multiple damage dice per weapon. When swinging a long sword with 2d8p damage (the p stands for re-rolling the max number and adding to it) it's easy to rack up some large wounds. 10 HP PCs would die quickly.

2. The game is designed with a flatter power curve, you begin with more robust HP but gain them more slowly over time (actually every other level). It allows monsters to remain in play for longer periods of time. Fighting orcs doesn't end at 3rd level.

3. It allows other races to be "fragile." Elves don't start with as many HP, because they're elves. It's hard to make elves more fragile when mages only start with 4 HP.

They're a few other reasons, but good question.

I'm happy to answer any other questions about the game anyone has.

Oh, to the poster who said shields are "broken." I would say they're valuable. When your shields get shattered (they do break) and you can take damage by blocking a blow you might realize there's a trade off in using them.

Remove ads