• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-elves and +2 CON

MarkB

Legend
Hybrid vigor. ;)

Hybrid vigour is largely a matter of statistical trends based upon survival of the fittest - cross-breeding will result in a roughly even distribution between offspring that are stronger than their parents, offspring who are about equally strong, and offspring who are weaker; but then the weaker ones tend to get killed off while the stronger ones get the best mates and breed true, thus pushing up the average strength for the whole sub-race.

I could see that working for half-elves.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
another reasoning is Half Elves are so adventurous that the only ones you meet are the tough ones that have not accidentally killed themselves. Like 3.5 gnomes.

jjsheets

First Post
Hybrid vigour is largely a matter of statistical trends based upon survival of the fittest - cross-breeding will result in a roughly even distribution between offspring that are stronger than their parents, offspring who are about equally strong, and offspring who are weaker; but then the weaker ones tend to get killed off while the stronger ones get the best mates and breed true, thus pushing up the average strength for the whole sub-race.

I could see that working for half-elves.

Especially in a Points of Light campaign. Besides, it can be used as a dump stat so you have more points to throw at the ones that are important to your class. Not quite as efficient if your class doesn't need Con and/or Cha. Only the Wizard would be a really bad choice for a Half-Elf. A warlock is the best if you look only at the stats. The remaining six benefit from one or the other of Con and Cha. I don't see this as a bad thing at all.

LittleElvis

First Post
Maybe this was said already (didn't read the whole thread), but in addition to the "hybrid vigor" factor, there's also that elves live so long.

I am still waiting for the picture of the underpants.

Anywhoozle, I am playing a half-elven paladin taking the multiclassing feats into cleric, and I have to say that the extra flexibility is quite tangible, and I have yet to feel that I am "behind" the other players. I wouldn't discount the half-elf as the "weakest race" this time around until you have tried one. Or multiclassing for that matter.

Edit: and more on topic, here are a few textual explainations for why Half-Elves get a Con bonus.

"Half elves tend to be sturdier than elves, but more slender than most humans."

"Half Elves have life spans comparable to humans, but like elves they remain vigorous into old age."

"Ultimately, half elves are survivors, able to adapt to almost any situation."

->Note that this does not say "almost any social situation".

Consider what happens when you combine the long lifespan of the elves with the sturdier construction of the humans. It is almost as if the elven half is making up for what the human half lacks, and the human half is making up for what the elven half lacks.

Last edited:

underfoot007

First Post
When you cross a male lion with a female tiger you get a liger, which is bigger than both his parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger#Size_and_growth

Sometimes gene-crossed hybrids manifest qualities that are not just "halfway" between the parents, so the fact that a half-elf could be sturdier than his elf and human parents, scientifically (well, as scientifically you can put it before incurring into Hong's wrath ;) ) is plausible.

This reminds me of Dark Sun muls (humans / dwarves).

Great analogoy, plus I find very few people have ever hear of "Ligers" or "Tions" (Male tiger & female lion).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads