Half Orc Arcanist Want-Ad

Xarlen

First Post
I'm going to be going into a 5th level game, and figured I'd play something a little different.

I want to go for a Half-Orc Evoker.

Now, since we get to roll our stats, I'm hoping for something high, of course, for Int. 18, 17 (They're not that hard to get with this DM). Put the +1 to Int for the 4th level to get it. And, have the Spellcasting Prodigy, to bump it up to 18, for that -2 penalty.

What my question is, do any of you have any suggestions for SPells, Feats, whatnot? I can likely get any spell from the books, so that's not a problem. The char is an evoker, but mages *Do* need essential spells (Dispel Magic, etc). So, any suggestions?

The character supposedly is, at heart, a half-orc... But, instead of beating things to death, it's more 'Blow it up'. Bake it, fry it, freeze it, melt it, it's all the same. Make 'em die. If need be, he'll just take that staff, use it as a double weapon, and start smacking. Though, Dex will likely be harsh. Strenght isn't a prob, obviously. ;)

Are there any good evok spells that work on single enemies? BOOM spells work on multiple targets, but the DM has a big habit of making Large, Munchkin single enemies.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Well, to boost the Dcs of your spells, think about Spell focus and Greater spell focus (+4 to DCs)

Improved Familiar could give you a quasit or an imp (depending on your alignment but I'm guessing neutral at best so those critters can be leggit). They're cool creatures but they might not get along well with the paladin/good cleric of the party.

Craft Wands is hard to resist, especially for an evoker.

Take a look at the spell sword, from ToB. Kinda mage-warrior type. I don't remember the details of the class but your +2 Strength as an half-orc would be an asset.

Put everything in concentration if you intend to get into melee. You can always cast defensively at DC15 to avoid AoOs.

Have fun!

Legildur

First Post
I'm running your standard run-of-the-mill human Invoker (well, 1 level of monk) through RtTEE. Being predominantly fire based was a bit of bitch at times, but balanced out with good spell selection (our dwarven fighter with Great Cleave] and arcane archer love my Haste spell).

But Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus (evocation) have been great - DM rarely makes a Ref save against the fireballs at DC 21.

Chose Conjuration as opposition school, which sucks sometimes, but hey, gotta lose something for the extra oomph.

Make sure that you keep a variety of spells on tap. That is, have different saving throws (Ref, Fort, Will) so that you can target different types of creatures.

I skipped that Craft Wand feat and went for Silent Spell and use that to memorise a Magic Missile in case a Silence spell is cast.

Xarlen

First Post
But what Evok spells are there that don't call for Ref?

Our DM seems to just put us up against things to have melee with. Never any spellcasters. Very short sighted. :p

Remove ads