• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halflings and Thrown Weapons

ghearus

Explorer
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.

The only core weapons that are thrown weapons are Daggers, clubs, short spears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets, although several splat books add thrown weapons.

Unless it is explicitly a thrown weapon, the +1 bonus would not apply. The exception to this is the feat "Throw Anything" which allows the character to treat any weapon they are proficient with as a thrown weapon.

Whimsical

Explorer
I have never considered the idea to apply the halfling bonus to melee attacks with a thrown weapon before. Although I suppose it can be successfully argued, I believe that it goes against the spirit of the rule to do so.

irdeggman

First Post
There really isn't something that falls into "trhwon weapons" as a specific weapontype.

Melee and Ranged Weapons: Melee weapons are used for making melee attacks, though some of them can be thrown as well. Ranged weapons are thrown weapons or projectile weapons that are not effective in melee.

Thrown Weapons: Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a –4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

A "thrown weapon" is eather a melee weapon or a ranged weapon that is thrown. The example of a a melee weapon that is trhown is a dagger, the example of a ragned weapon that is thrown is a dart.

For comparison a sling is a ranged weapon but not a thrown weapon - which is why it is specifically called out separately in the halfling entry.

ghearus

Explorer
It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons)

This sentence really clarifies the difference between a thrown and melee weapon.

As a DM I would rule that if a weapon has a range increment listed in its source, it is designed as a thrown weapon, otherwise it is not; for clarity, this does not apply to projectile weapons.

Under that ruling, unless a melee weapon gains a range increment through magic, or by feat, the +1 bonus would only apply to weapons that are designed to be thrown.

irdeggman

First Post
ghearus said:
This sentence really clarifies the difference between a thrown and melee weapon.

As a DM I would rule that if a weapon has a range increment listed in its source, it is designed as a thrown weapon, otherwise it is not; for clarity, this does not apply to projectile weapons.

Under that ruling, unless a melee weapon gains a range increment through magic, or by feat, the +1 bonus would only apply to weapons that are designed to be thrown.

Right but the OP's questionpertained to using said weapon in any way.

For example a dgger is a melee weapon that is "thrown" - would the halfling get the +1 to atack when wielding a dagger as a melee weapon?

I say no because it is not a "type" of weapon it is rather a "type of use".

ghearus

Explorer
I agree that it only applies when a ranged attack is made with a thrown weapon or with a sling.

The following flavor text from the ability in the PHB supports this:

Throwing and slinging stones is a universal sport among halflings, and they develop especially good aim.

Herzog

Adventurer
I would submit that anything thrown in the form of an attack would count as 'thrown weapon', therefore the +1 would be included.

Of course, if the weapon is not meant to be thrown, the -4 penalty also applies (for a combined total of -3)

The list mentioned above is (IMHO) an 'inclusive list', not an 'exclusive list'. In other words, if something is not in that list is does not imply it isn't a thrown weapon.

Also, if a weapon that can be thrown (such as a dagger) is used as a melee weapon, it isn't 'thrown', therefore the +1 is not applied.

Herzog

Slaved

First Post
So I did not miss a hard and fast rule about which way this should be applied? I am sorry to hear that :(

I had hoped there was a clear rule somewhere instead of dungeons and dragons being fast and loose with words. :( :(

Remove ads