Hand Crossbow Build Advice?

Grimgrin

First Post
Looking for advice on how to best build two different approaches a hand crossbow build: A Rogue and an Artificer.

My initial take on race is a Drow Rogue and Shardmind Artificer.

Yeah, probably the sharpshooter tactics rogue is basically the kind of standard build. You do have choices there though. Artful Dodger can work too for a more mixed approach where you can dart into melee or hang back and snipe. Really if you're not going to expect to get close up now and then there's not a lot of reason to go with the HAND crossbow. Of course at a certain point you also have to ask if rogue is the only martial option either... I mean you could do a pretty decent mixed mode ranger build that uses an HCB in each hand and can quick switch to blades for close-in work (take rapiers, they are now martial weapons so no feat required). Throw Thievery and Stealth on him and you're pretty much a 'rogue' that can snipe well (pick dungeoneering for your mandatory 'environment' skill, or nature could work depending on character concept).

A Slayer might work out interestingly too. Not optimum for a slayer, but you can make it work perfectly well with the dex build. The Hunter might be interesting, though I understand it is a bit weak on its own.

There's not a lot of feat support for this. Two Fisted Shooter is pretty lackluster and there isn't a LOT else out there that rogues can use. If you go the ranger route you can of course use the whole Prime Shot feat chain.

mneme

Explorer
A Drow rogue with Ruthless Hunter, Drow Fighting Style and Two Fisted Shooter isn't a bad approach, though it does require feats just to get out of the door. Use a rapier in melee (sharpshooter talent) and the crossbow at range (probably need to hide to reliably get sneak attack until status effects are abundant, though, but that's why you're hybrid melee/ranged).

As far as Artificers, you're basically talking about picking up Versitile Expertise (Crossbow, Any Implement), Crossbow Caster, and shooting away. The crossbow isn't going to be as accurate as a dagger, but it will look cool and you can use a melee weapon in your other hand when you're in melee without a lot of resources dedicated to switching weapons.

Grimgrin

First Post
She doesn't want to be a drow. Wants to be a halfling or gnome artificer/rogue hybrid.

Backstabber, Versatile Expertise, and Crossbow Caster are good ideas.

Does Crossbow Expertise (HoFK) stack with Versatile Expertise?
The hand crossbow is still good with sneak attack right?
What about frost cheese with frost hand crossbow or frost ammo?
Is the the Poisoner Multiclass Feat still available and a good choice?

Last edited:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Does Crossbow Expertise (HoFK) stack with Versatile Expertise?
The hand crossbow is still good with sneak attack right?
What about frost cheese with frost hand crossbow or frost ammo?
Is the the Poisoner Multiclass Feat still available and a good choice?

1. Not the bonus to hit, no - they both give feat bonuses.

2. Possible, but requires more feats. Plus, going the frost ammo route is expensive. Myself, I don't think frost cheese is something I would want to encourage, and it really requires all/most of the group to be in on it to be fully effective.

3. It is still available. Myself, I don't think its a good choice unless you have a ton of poison powers.

Remove ads