• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hand-drawn map-in-progress [updated 1/31]

ZombieButch

First Post
Nellisir said:
I still like it, and it's still miles ahead of anything I can do (left to itself, my hand makes splotches and blotches, not fields). That said, there's something weird about the perspective, kinda...."fish-eye". I think it's the shading in the trees and the houses; there's no consistent light source. Most (thought not all) of the shading simply goes away from the center, rather than left to right, or top to bottom. It's going on with the fields too, actually - the grass in the upper right is oriented on the diagonal more than the horizontal. It's an...odd effect.

I think that's just an artifact of how I inked. I'll ink a bit, then turn the page 90 degrees and ink another area while the first one dries, and repeat as necessary. It keeps me from running my hands over wet ink!

ZombieButch

First Post
Started adding some color last night. As I mentioned, I'm using watercolor pencils for most of the coloring; I have some traditional tube watercolors as well that I'm using for a few colors.

The road has been shaded in with the pencils using the same colors as the beach (a deep cadmium yellow and just a touch of ochre brown). You can see how much difference a little water makes!

It doesn't show up at all in the scan, but I added a bit of foam onto the water with some white pastel.

map-wip5.jpg

Still have a lot more glazing to do; the rooftops aren't going to stay that fire engine red for long!

When it's all done I'll post up a link to a high-res version if you guys really want to get in and see how sloppy my watercolor work really is. :lol:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads