• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harry Potter d20

Imbasel

First Post
Thanks for the input please let me know how the playtesting goes. Also, sorry for the lack of creatures people have said they would deliver, but all I've received are PM's saying sorry I haven't done one creature in 3 months :rant:

Kafen

First Post
Salamander, methinks... I have a short adventure in mind for some kids that are into Harry Potter. They are just starting the series. So, I get to play parent and run a game for them.

jasper

Rotten DM
...With that being said: Imbasel, you have created a derivative work. If you were just using that derivative work to play Harry Potter games with your friends, that would fall under the purview of personal use (which is often confused with fair use) and be perfectly fine.

.So, yes, it's a derivative work. And, yes, J.K. Rowling's lawyers could send you a perfectly legitimate C&D.

repeat
So, yes, it's a derivative work. And, yes, J.K. Rowling's lawyers could send you a perfectly legitimate C&D.
repeat
So, yes, it's a derivative work. And, yes, J.K. Rowling's lawyers could send you a perfectly legitimate C&D.

repeat

repeat

repeat

repeat

THANK YOU for making my piont
Copyright law across 2 countries, Digitial media act and other in USA. Makes
using other people intell properities an iffy situation.
and are you a copyright lawyer for both countries?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
So we're clear, I don't think we have an problem with this being discussed here until and unless the original poster gets a C&D. I'll let you know if that changes. In the mean time, Jasper, time to let the issue lie. I know you're sensitive to this topic, but you're being rude.

PM me with any questions or concerns.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Since it's possible to copyright derivative works under certain conditions in both the U.S. and the U.K. this isn't a simple matter at all. Mostly it has to do with how much the work copies from the original.

Here it seems that almost nothing but names are used. The meat of the work is original and made up.

Also, there's a big difference between C&D Orders, and C&D Letters. The latter are more likely (as they are the one used previously by Rowling's lawyers), and they are only warning shots before any legality is established.

Imbasel

First Post
I will of course let the site know and the forums know if I receive any type of letter from JK Rowling. In the meantime I would ask the community to help me in this project.

Kafen

First Post
So, I have a rough draft of the Salamander. The age progression thing seems to be where you could have really old ones. So, I put the age tier at 0, 10, 100, 1000+

This is the rough draft. I am tempted to link the burning touch to any melee attack and call it a special ability.

The below stats are without age adjustments. Only advancement mods according to size are in place. Age is just the reference at this point.

Plus, I need to figure out a range on its breath weapon.

And yes, I know the ones in the books did not breath fire. It is just a beta one. the final result could be without the breath weapon.

=================================

Salamander, Fresh (newborn): CR 1; Fine Magical Beast (Fire); HD 2d10+4 (Magical Beast) ; hp 15; Init +3; Spd 20; AC:21 (Flatfooted:18 Touch:21); Atk +8 base melee, +13 base ranged; +8 (1d2-2, Bite); +8 (1-2, 2 Claw); +8 (1d6-2, Burning Touch); +13 (1d3, Breath Weapon); SQ: Immunity: Fire (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft., Low-light Vision (Ex); AL CN; SV Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +0; STR 7, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 6.
Skills: Concentration +5, Hide +19, Jump -5, Listen +2, Spot +4, Survival +2.
Feats: Alertness.

Salamander, Ancient (1000 year old): CR ?; Medium Magical Beast (Fire); HD 20d10+60 (Magical Beast) ; hp 170; Init -1; Spd 20; AC:9 (Flatfooted:9 Touch:9); Atk +23 base melee, +19 base ranged; +23 (1d8+4, Bite); +23 (1d6+3, 2 Claw); +23 (4d6+4, Burning Touch); +19 (2d6, Breath Weapon); SQ: Immunity: Fire (Ex), Darkvision (Ex): 60 ft., Low-light Vision (Ex); AL CN; SV Fort +15, Ref +13, Will +6; STR 17, DEX 8, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 6.
Skills: Balance +1, Concentration +10, Escape Artist +1, Jump +18, Listen +2, Spot +11, Survival +11.
Feats: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack.

Description: Born in the heart of a fire, it is a small lizard that fuels itself on flames. It thrives in the fire that creates it, and it dies in six hours once it leaves the flames of its birth. The lizard is often playful which tends to spread the originial fire of its birth. Most people use salamander blood for its magical properties which gives it value to healers.

The coloring of the salamander tends to match the color of the fire from its birth. White fire creates white salamanders while red fire creates red salamanders. They can have a blend of colors from the fire, too. So, virtually any color of salamander if possible.

The blood functions as both a spell of Cure Moderate Wounds and confers limited regeneration upon the person imbibing the potion. It grants a living being Regeneration 2 for six minutes which makes it a popular choice for battle.

Last edited:

Remove ads