Harry Potter Questions potenitial Spoilers

yipwyg42

First Post
I haven't read the previous books in awhile, so details are a bit sketchy for me. My brother and I are in a somewhat debate on how much of the latest book was foreshadowed or had things previously mentioned in other books.

I am wondering if people can tell me where the following where mentioned or hinted at.

Dumberdore's Brother and Sister especially any hints on where he is at the end of the book.

Dumberdore's battle with Grimmerwald (friend said book one on the chocolate frog card.

Any mention of the elder wand or the resurection stone from the deathly hallows.

The debate deals with my brother thinking that the whole storyline of the deathly hallows was totally arbitrary, meaning the author just came up with the story to wrap things up. That there was nothing foreshadowed in previous books that you can look back upon to see how this all wraps up.

I mentioned a lot of foreshadowing of Snape, The main characters resolution at the end, How Voldemort was brought back, and some others that were completely hinted at throughout the books.

Thanks for any info or other thoughts.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
yipwyg42 said:
Dumberdore's Brother and Sister especially any hints on where he is at the end of the book.

Aberforth is mentioned earlier, something about being tried by the Wizengamot for inappropriate interaction with goats. Don't have reference available, sorry.

Dumberdore's battle with Grimmerwald (friend said book one on the chocolate frog card.

Correct, his duel with Grindelwald is mentioned in the first book, but really isn't touched upon again until this book.

Any mention of the elder wand or the resurection stone from the deathly hallows.

The Elder Wand is not specifically called out, though it's there any time Dumbledore does magic. Certainly, there's no tooltip or anything saying it's the Elder Wand, or even that it's name is in Orange text, or more seriously, that it was anything special. The Resurrection Stone is seen in Book 6, with the ring that Gaunt has and that Dumbledore tries to destroy. However, there's no mention of it being the Resurrection Stone.

The debate deals with my brother thinking that the whole storyline of the deathly hallows was totally arbitrary, meaning the author just came up with the story to wrap things up. That there was nothing foreshadowed in previous books that you can look back upon to see how this all wraps up.

My understanding is that she's had this outlined for a very long time. While the specifics may have been up in the air, I'm willing to give her credit for having most of it planned from day one.

Also, I think there are mentions that the Invisibility Cloak was special, that no one else had anything quite as good.

Brad

Remove ads