Has anyone else started playing 'Scouring' yet? (Possible Spoilers)

merchantsteve

Explorer
As always... Players are smarter than the rules!!! A writer just can't win!!
In all seriousness. If they enjoyed the routs, then they got their reward. It will be interesting to see how they fare on skill challenges. If they beat up on Shealis instead of work with her, just remember that she is a good aligned character. I'd sic some eladrin revengers on them for messing her up. Also, the terrorist cell groups can be very troublesome. Attacking Menash while the players are in negotiations would really be a pain.
Just remember - this is your campaign now. Abuse... hmmm... use the players weaknesses and strengths against them. Read Sun Tzu, you'll need it!

roderickvd

First Post
Starting tonight with five PCs! Really eager about it too. Here's the party:

Faenan the Teleporter, eladrin warlock 1
Keira, human paladin 1
Mikhael Porteus, human wizard 1
Zelnick, human rogue 1
dwarven shaman 1

Faenan is accepting the teleporting damage as a trade-off for the added damage. We've agreed to set him up with a cloak of resistance as part of a treasure parcel.

All of them have opted for a Gate Pass affiliation. The wizard is aiming for the Spelldueler paragon path.

Should be an interesting party! Hopefully they won't miss the cleric too much. The paladin/shaman combination should provide some healing and turning, but time will tell.

I'll let you know how it went later this week.

kumagroo

First Post
Thank you, Merchantsteve for the PM w/ the suggestion. You guys are worth x2 the subscription price for the customer service alone! You can count on my business for future 4e EN publishing. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I start my 4E WotBS campaign in full on Thursday night! I've been waiting a long, long time to get chance to actually really run this through!

Talysian

Explorer
I start mine tomorrow, only problem I have is I have a feeling I'm gonna have to step on some player fingers... I just got the usually questionaiire I send out asking how pc's react in certain situations to find out most of the characters created would skip much of the first adventure, (basically all the people asking for help and would only help the resistance for a hefty payment...) So I get to either re-write stuff or flat out say no evil alignments. Lesigh

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I start mine tomorrow, only problem I have is I have a feeling I'm gonna have to step on some player fingers... I just got the usually questionaiire I send out asking how pc's react in certain situations to find out most of the characters created would skip much of the first adventure, (basically all the people asking for help and would only help the resistance for a hefty payment...) So I get to either re-write stuff or flat out say no evil alignments. Lesigh

I always forbid evil alignments in my games. I figure that if the players aren't willing to go along in good nature with the game being played, then what's the point? May as well play poker or something, a game specifically designed around player self-interest. I always raise an eyebrow anyway when I get a bunch of people wanting to play evil characters - that's really not the sort of game I enjoy running.

That's just me, though. Everyone's different.

You just need to be an enterprising DM if they refuse to engage with the plot. If they don't leave the city, they're screwed; and the plot gives them a way out of the city. Just make it clear to them they need to leave, and Seaquen is the only place they're not gonna get caught by Ragesia. Or have Torrent promise that the resistance will give them their hefty payment in Lyceum, and worry about it in three adventures' time. :)

Perhaps just suggest to them that playing good characters is fun, too. Are they a young group, out of interest? I tend to find that yougsters want to play evil characters, and older players realise that that isn't usually conducive to a fun game. It can be done, of course, but the DM has to design a campaigh which specifically accomodates evil characters, and that's a lot of work for him.

Talysian

Explorer
Yea everyone told me what they were playing but my guy's are sometimes slow on backstories. It's not so much that the whole party is evil though. Just one person, the other is mercanary and the third just goes with the other two ;P I got two people convinced to be semi good so IT will just be a finger twisting no evil night and if he want's to play evil.. well he won't survive too long. AFter all he is the warlord and well... Always take the healer out first!!!

roderickvd

First Post
Agreed, all-evil campaigns can be fun but mixing it up is a recipe for inter-party conflict and one player taking the spotlight. A sinister twist can be fun though. One of my players has a vested interest in the outcome of the war of his own...

Boregar

First Post
Or have Torrent promise that the resistance will give them their hefty payment in Lyceum, and worry about it in three adventures' time. :)

That's what I did when one of my group asked about payment, but it did help that three of them were willing to help anyway, so it didn't hold things up while they haggled over a price.

And, by a stroke of good fortune, one of my PC's died in the first session, so Torrent is going to arrange for them to get raised, and that will be their 'payment'.:)

Second session for me tomorrow night, and my players are all looking forward to it.

My party, which I forgot to mention before, -

Human Warden
Human Swordmage
Dragonborn Sorcerer
Deva Ranger
Goliath Barbarian

Last edited:

Remove ads