D&D 5E Has anyone fought and killed a Tarrasque?

discosoc

First Post
5th edition, specifically, but I'm also curious about how encounters went in other editions.

Bonus question: how do you pronounce it? I've always said "tah-ras-kee."

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Tah-ra-skew. Must be. Tar (tah) ras (rass) que (queue/cue).

After many stunning palms, quivering palms, and polymorphs, the Tarrafrog was put into a bag of devouring.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
I've only ever heard it pronounced as Tarrask, rhymes with 'harassed'.

I did play one con game set at 20th level, in which fighting the Tarrasque was the opening battle. It was staged very much Godzilla-style - a bunch of evil summoners conjured it in the bay next to a major city, and we had to try and stop it before it hit shore and started stomping the city. Was a pretty entertaining battle, but I've no idea how closely the DM played it to the rules - as players we were mostly trying to play catch-up on everything a 20th-level character has at their disposal.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It's based on a French myth, and that myth has one less 'r' but is pronounced kind of like ter-isk, so that's basically how I try to pronounce it (but my accent from growing up in cowboy towns then living in New Orleans for years makes it come out more like ta-rask with a heavy 'r').

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
How do you pronounce Tarrasque. Let's ask Gary Gygax

"2. GUY-gax is how my family pronounces the name, but in proper Swiss it is pronounced GHE-gox. As for Ioun, I say Eeun but Yoon sounds fine, and so too Eeuse, but Yuz is okay, We almost agree on the pronunciation of Terrasque--err-ASK TO YOUR tar-ASK, WE HARMONIZE ON litch (many prefer lick), and Tiamat as TEE-a-matt.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?22566-Q-amp-A-with-Gary-Gygax/page12#ixzz4Nr4HBPzo"

Remove ads