has anyone played Warmachine?

GlassJaw

Hero
This is the table-top miniatures wargame by Privateer Press, which is also based on their Iron Kingdoms steampunk setting.

I have a friend who's really into miniatures (mostly Warhammer) and he has been trying to rope me in. I did some research on Warhammer and Warmachine and had to make a choice...

I want with Warmachine.

Cost was certainly a consideration but certainly not the deciding factor for me. You can certainly build a reasonably sized army in Warmachine a lot faster than with Warhammer. Warhammer requires a major committment. One of the biggest factors for me was the setting itself. I love the Iron Kingdoms world and the fact that I could use my Warmachine minis in an RPG campaign was a big plus for me.

So I finally got to play a demo this past weekend. What a blast (even though I lost). I've heard more than a few people describe it as Magic as a mini game. The army combinations and tactics you can implement are awesome. Just switching a single model will drastically change your strategy.

So anyway, I'm hooked. I was just wondering if anyone else had played since I haven't seen much mention of it in here. I would say Privateer Press has a winner on their hands. I've even heard some say that WM has the potential to give GW a run for its money.

I demoed at GenCon last year with my husband and we loved it.

We've now purchased a set each, but I'm a slow painter (but a good painter, if I do say so myself :D).

The minis are absolutely beautiful and incredibly - INCREDIBLY - well sculpted.

Stormborn

Explorer
Played my second game this Sat. A friend of mine paints and picked them up just to have somethign cool to paint. He has a Cygnar and Menoth battle group done with a warcaster and 3 jacks each, and is workling on some more so we can have some variation in the units. Both games have been really close, down to a "who hits who first" kind of thing. Some of the rules can get complicated, but its fun. And the minis are just excelent.

GlassJaw

Hero
I bought the Khador boxed set. There is just something about Russians, the winter, and commanding huge metal monstrosities to destroy everything in their path.

I love the minis too. There isn't anything on the market now that looks like them.

Geist

First Post
Hey there!

Yeah Im a warmachine Addict :) you should head over to privateer press's website and check out the forums there tons of ways to find gamers. Im the demo rep for Vancouver BC myself.

should also check out the Hand Cannon fan zine thats a by monthly release :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Great game! Fast and easy to play, great figures, and useable in a D20 setting to boot!

I play Cygnar, and own a single starter set of Cryx for use in the RPG. (And lust after the Deathjack mini in my heart...)

The Auld Grump

Ghostwind

First Post
I like it. I run a game of it every other week at the store where I work. Plus I've just started to paint the minis and put them up for sale on the advice of a master-level painter who frequents the store. Seems there are a lot of folks who would like ot have their box sets painted due to lack of skills and/or time. :)

jaults

First Post
Ah, yes... Warmachine... I have just about 1800 points of Menoth, 1050 points of Cryx, another 1000ish points of Mercs, and 675 points of Khador. The game combines beautiful models, a fantastic setting and a VERY tight ruleset to great effect...

Jason

The_Universe

First Post
I've only played the game once, but it was fun, and I've been very happy with the miniatures themselves. I have some Cygnar 'jacks, and one of the Merc sets, and my wife is still slowly working on the Khador starter.

It was great fun - I'd love to play more. :)

Ghostwind

First Post
I'm thinking about painting up some box sets and selling them (or giving them to anyone who donates at least $75.00 to saving my site). Anyone have an interest in this?

Remove ads