D&D General Has anyone seen this Wired article about using D&D to teach AIs?

Aaron L

Hero
I should add to the post above, that using streams as training data will probably skew the AI to play styles that are entertaining to watch, as distinct to entertaining to play.
Absolutely true. And I hope that would never happen... because I think I would rather chew off my own head than play D&D the way people on YouTube play it. Fun to Play and Fun to Watch are two totally different things. Lots and lots and lots of pointless talking about the most mundane things, having a full conversation with every random NPC the party runs into, roleplaying out every encounter with a merchant to buy every last provision... things that would usually be glossed over in most actual gameplay session I have ever taken part in. I suppose it could be a difference in playstyle between generations of gamers, but I think it's more about treating streamed D&D sessions as performative improv theater. The combat has been almost nonexistent, and while I wouldn't want to play in a D&D campaign that was nothing but total combat, neither would I want to play a campaign that was nothing but total roleplaying. But watching people roll dice and declare damage numbers probably isn't much fun for most people to watch.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Absolutely true. And I hope that would never happen... because I think I would rather chew off my own head than play D&D the way people on YouTube play it. Fun to Play and Fun to Watch are two totally different things. Lots and lots and lots of pointless talking about the most mundane things, having a full conversation with every random NPC the party runs into, roleplaying out every encounter with a merchant to buy every last provision... things that would usually be glossed over in most actual gameplay session I have ever taken part in. I suppose it could be a difference in playstyle between generations of gamers, but I think it's more about treating streamed D&D sessions as performative improv theater. The combat has been almost nonexistent, and while I wouldn't want to play in a D&D campaign that was nothing but total combat, neither would I want to play a campaign that was nothing but total roleplaying. But watching people roll dice and declare damage numbers probably isn't much fun for most people to watch.
I have actually played in sessions with people who played that way. They did enjoy that playstyle but I must say not my cup of tea.

Aaron L

Hero
I have actually played in sessions with people who played that way. They did enjoy that playstyle but I must say not my cup of tea.
We had a guy join our group just recently who said he hated combat. So I imagined me must like deep immersive roleplaying or something like that... but then he named his character Reebok Spanx, and proceeded to spend the whole session being kind of annoying and making bad jokes.

I just don't get players like that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases