Has the Wandering Monster concept died?

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I have been fitting alot of different published modules into the Forgotten Realms, because unfortunately my job encroaches on my planning time.

In any case, at least judging by Pathfinder publishcations I cannot find tables for Wandering Monsters.

In general are they 'dead'? Am I missing them?

Tiberius

Explorer
The concept has fallen out of usefulness now that one of the prime means of XP acquisition is killing monsters rather than gathering treasure. Wandering monsters used to be a punishment for dallying, now they are more of a reward.

I refer you to Professor Vaarsuvius' take on the matter:

Giant In the Playground Games

:)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
In any case, at least judging by Pathfinder publishcations I cannot find tables for Wandering Monsters.

I don't know about Paizo's standalone modules, but for their adventure path adventures, there are wandering monster tables. I've been using them while running the Kingmaker adventure path.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I make heavy use of them in my 4E hack.

I would say that the concept hasn't died; I think that more people understand why that game element exists and those who don't think it adds to the experience don't use them.

Stormonu

Legend
One of the problems with random monster tables was derailment; an unexpected encounter usually has unforeseen, negative consequences - draining party supplies and resources for no (or little) foreseeable gain and therefore making the stock encounters more difficult. The random encounter could also take away from story pacing and the like (though if done properly, it could enhance it).

Overall, semi-random encounters work better - where the occupants of the dungeon/area are moving about and not in one static spot. They do have their uses in helping to curb the 5-minute-workday by encouraging a party not to dally and beware of "roving" enemies who could suddenly arrive to bolster an encounter or stumble on the party prior or following a "fixed" encounter.

pawsplay

Hero
I'm pretty hardcore about it, unless the PCs have outleveld the local threats. Since I think dangerous environments are part of the D&D experience, I view them as railment.

Aurumvorax

First Post
Ideally you don't want to get into a random battle. More often than not my character in 2e found himself giving away fresh horses and shiny baubles to passing ogres in exchange for his life.

Now I encourage random battles when A) the party is making too much noise (especially when players start bickering IRL and IC even though you've warned them multiple times) and B) whenever tension calls for it.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I pretty much only use em to spice up a session especially after extended non-combat stuff.

And even then they aren't random. I keep a monster or two of the appropriate level/climate handy in case.

Wandering to me means "a monster with no real connection to any plot."

Remove ads