Hasbro had big problems: layoffs, bad results

mamba

Legend
Chris Cocks: “Despite strong growth in Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming, Hasbro Pulse, and our licensing business, our Consumer Products business underperformed in the fourth quarter”

So not sure WotC has an excuse here, unless you think of pressure by Hasbro

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Chris Cocks: “Despite strong growth in Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming, Hasbro Pulse, and our licensing business, our Consumer Products business underperformed in the fourth quarter”

So not sure WotC has an excuse here, unless you think of pressure by Hasbro
That was what I was thinking, a big and irrational pressure from Hasbro, that needs WotC generate ever more cash as they lose it on almost all other activities.

TheSword

Legend
2022 was always going to be a tough year following on from the gaming peaks of 2020 and 2021. Budgeting has been shot in so many businesses due to pandemic disruption. All the normal budget markers have moved up and down.

2020 and 2021 were bumper years due to the lockdowns. I’d be more interested to compare to pre-pandemic 2019 figures. If anyone has them?

Don’t forget also that restructure is often the first thing that new leadership look at. Get unpopular but necessary decisions done early when folks are already expecting change and then switch to more positive changes after that. Don’t forget that massive payroll and energy increases have caused lots of companies to rationalize costs.

… again, I’ve been reading my Machiavelli.

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
“While the full-year 2022, and particularly the fourth quarter, represented a challenging moment for Hasbro, we are confident in our Blueprint 2.0 strategy, unveiled in October, which includes a focus on fewer, bigger brands; gaming; digital; and our rapidly growing direct to consumer and licensing businesses,” Cocks said.

I'd hazard a guess that the first quarter hasn't had a rockin' start either...

LordRuyn

Explorer
2020 and 2021 were always going to be bumper years given the lockdowns. I’d be more interested to compare to pre-pandemic 2019 figures. If anyone has them?
Considering they are a publicly traded company, I'd imagine that's publicly available information.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
2022 was always going to be a tough year following on from the gaming peaks of 2020 and 2021. Budgeting has been shot in so many businesses due to pandemic disruption. All the normal budget markers have moved up and down.

2020 and 2021 were always going to be bumper years given the lockdowns. I’d be more interested to compare to pre-pandemic 2019 figures. If anyone has them?

Don’t forget also that restructure is often the first thing that new leadership look at. Get unpopular but necessary decisions done early when folks are already expecting change and then switch to more positive changes after that. Don’t forget that massive payroll and energy increases have caused lots of companies to rationalize costs.

… again, I’ve been reading my Machiavelli.
That's why all the streamers other than HBO are slashing and burning right now. (HBO is slashing and burning because of a leveraged buyout.)

Last edited:

Remove ads