• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro's CEO Reports OGL-Related D&D Beyond Cancellations Had Minimal Impact

Hasbro held a quarterly earnings call recently in which CEO Chris Cocks (who formerly ran WotC before being promoted) indicated that the OGL controversy had a "comparatively minor" impact on D&D's revenue due to D&D Beyond subscription cancellations. He also noted that D&D grew by 20% in 2022 (Magic: the Gathering revenues grew by an astonishing 40% in Quarter 4!) WotC as a whole was up 22%...

hasbro-logo-5-2013769358.png

Hasbro held a quarterly earnings call recently in which CEO Chris Cocks (who formerly ran WotC before being promoted) indicated that the OGL controversy had a "comparatively minor" impact on D&D's revenue due to D&D Beyond subscription cancellations. He also noted that D&D grew by 20% in 2022 (Magic: the Gathering revenues grew by an astonishing 40% in Quarter 4!)

WotC as a whole was up 22% in Q4 2022.

Lastly, on D&D, we misfired on updating our Open Gaming License, a key vehicle for creators to share or commercialize their D&D inspired content. Our best practice is to work collaboratively with our community, gather feedback, and build experiences that inspire players and creators alike - it's how we make our games among the best in the industry. We have since course corrected and are delivering a strong outcome for the community and game.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Look, I get it. For most 3rd party creators, D&D is their largest and most consistent source of revenue. So people want to believe that everything is fine, WoTC has learned it's lesson, and they will never try to anything sneaky ever again (It's doesn't have to be related the OGL).

But they have demonstrated their contempt for the community and their willingness to lie. IMO, trusting them implicitly is not a good idea.

It's not about good or evil. It's about money. It's about pleasing the shareholders. They have a financial target, and they will do what it takes to achieve that target...whether it hurts the community or not.

So, as the saying goes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Who is trusting them? I've only ever trusted WotC to try to make a buck.

BlueFin

Just delete this account.
LOL. So the best you can do is throw out an opinion and not do anything to back it up when challenged. And because you couldn’t backup your own opinion the best you could do was accuse someone of doing some they didn’t do. I think I know you quite well now. Short enough for you? 😆

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
This is actually funny to me.

A. First, your business makes a profit driven decision. But really you did it for inclusion. (Too funny!) no you did not.

B. People smell a rat—-and rebel. So you change course.

C. But it too was unrelated to business decisions.

This is the most altruistic and charitable business! (Still laughing)

Look—-you thought you would miss out on profits now or in the future. So you danced with the devil. People did not like it so you drew back…because you thought you would miss out on profit, now or in the future.

That is how as a shareholder I expect you to act. Making up absurd stories is just beyond the pale! Unless I think people will buy it and consequently keep buying product at some point…

Which is what I will do if they make some stuff I like…

LOL. So the best you can do is throw out an opinion and not do anything to back it up when challenged. And because you couldn’t backup your own opinion the best you could do was accuse someone of doing some they didn’t do. I think I know you quite well now. Short enough for you? 😆
TLDR

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What level of hurt though?

A lot of companies try to calculate a "threshold of pain" they can inflict upon their customers before the customer begins pushing back. It starts with elasticity of demand, and the availability of substitutes, and an "impact analysis".
Toy manufacturers have a little less room to maneuver there, since customer satisfaction is their only source of revenue.

Remove ads

Remove ads