D&D General Haunted Doll help

Uller

Adventurer
I got the idea for a "haunted doll" magic item from a list of weird magic items I found. It was in the possession of a sea hag my group just defeated. The haunted doll is described as allowing the possessor to return to life in 1d4 days (or something like that) but it has grown in the minds of my players abit.

The hag's grandmother lairs on a nearby island. The party just discovered it and are currently contemplating returning home (as the captain of the ship they hired insists) or explore the island (and the captain will probably abandon them there!) But they have this doll that now contains the sea hag's spirit and wants to get "home" and/or murder the party members or make their lives miserable.

So I need some "rules" for the doll. Scrawled on it is the ritual that must be performed to raise the soul in the doll. It requires the use of a mirror on the island and the Grandmother hag will certainly want to get the doll and perform the rutual (and sacrifice a PC along the way).

Then I think the doll should manifest some spell-like abilities to do things like make creep illusions of itself or "ghosts", make itself or other objects move and talk (and harm people or make it look like others are trying to do harm), maybe somethings to protect itself/teleport away from danger, and lastly some powerful effects it can use to force characters to attack each other or try to get the doll back to the island and the Grandmother hag. Below are some of the spells I would consider. I am not looking to have the party "battle" the doll. When they try to harm it, I want it to appear they succeeded only to have it reappear later. When they are not paying attention to it and/or at inopportune moments it uses some of these abilities to creep them out or manipulate them...here is a list of what I am thinking...any other suggestions are very welcome!

Ethereal Jaunt as per phase spiders (X times per day?)
Animate Object (can use on self or objects in the room)
Mage Hand
Minor Illusion
Silent Image
Cause Fear
Charm Person
Misty Step
Crown of Madness
Detect Thoughts
Knock
Levitate
Magic Mouth
Suggestion

Obviously I don't want to give the doll access to all of these all the time. There will be limits. Are there others I should consider? Ones in the list I should get rid of?

Remove ads