Dragonlance Have a lore question about Dragonlance, about the gods and magic expanded down below for my question.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
After the cataclysm the people believe the gods left Krynn and that meant no more clerics. The mages however still had access to there magic I am not sure if this was explained on why they still had access to it? If someone could explain or point me in the direction of a thread that explained this to make sense. I am curious more than anything else also I plan on running a Dragonlacne campaign in the near future, none of my players are dragonlance lore knowledgeable but I do have one player who likes to ask lore questions I just want to be prepared is all if it ever comes up. Thank you in advance.

mamba

Legend
They simply do not 'function' the way the other gods do. From 'Towers of High Sorcery' (3e):

"Although each of the Gods of Magic has his or her own alignment, the gods share a single allegiance: magic. Thus they are different from the other gods, who are generally wholly absorbed in their own causes and who interact directly with only their own followers to advance that cause. Thus it is that the Gods of Magic often ally one with the other to stand together either in favor of or in opposition to the rest of the pantheon. This united voice gives them strength often lacking in the divisive clamor of the other gods"

"The relationship the Orders of High Sorcery had with the Gods of Magic did not work in the same way as the relationships of other gods and their followers. Wizards did not lose their spellcasting ability. The wizards of the time, as educated men and women, understood religion and the relationship of the moons, planets, and constellations to the gods, but matters of faith and divine magic were never their province. So, they, as an Order, never questioned the gods’ departure.

The Gods of Magic have never asked to be worshipped, nor have they required the Orders to worship them. As the first Foundation states, a Wizard’s first and only loyalty is to the magic. Even after the gift of divine magic disappeared, arcane magic remained. The three moons shone in the sky and the Orders continued with their practices"

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
"The Gods of Magic have never asked to be worshipped, nor have they required the Orders to worship them. As the first Foundation states, a Wizard's first and only loyalty is to the magic. Even after the gift of divine magic disappeared, arcane magic remained. The three moons shone in the sky and the Orders continued with their practices: finding and training young people gifted with magic, giving the Test to those wanting to pursue High Sorcery, all the while isolating themselves within the Tower of Wayreth, protected by its grove, the Wayreth Forest." -Towers of High Sorcery (affiliate link), pg. 76-77.

The theme of the gods disappearing at the end of Krynn's third age (the Age of Might), is that the gods didn't abandon mortals; mortals abandoned the gods, turning away from them in their pride and arrogance, as exemplified by the Kingpriest of Istar. It's why the constellations, planets, and moons didn't change, compared to the Fifth Age, when Takhisis stole the world, which resulted in the gods (who could no longer find it) not being represented in the heavens until the War of Souls, when they located Krynn again.

In other words, the arcane spellcasters kept their magic during the Age of Despair (i.e. the fourth age) because it was still there, the same way that Mishakal was still there for Goldmoon to find, etc.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Krynn Gods of Magic (Solinari, Nuitari, and Lunitari) had already removed themselves from the Heavens (and to their respective moons) to focus on magic before the Cataclysm.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
They simply do not 'function' the way the other gods do. From 'Towers of High Sorcery' (3e):

"Although each of the Gods of Magic has his or her own alignment, the gods share a single allegiance: magic. Thus they are different from the other gods, who are generally wholly absorbed in their own causes and who interact directly with only their own followers to advance that cause. Thus it is that the Gods of Magic often ally one with the other to stand together either in favor of or in opposition to the rest of the pantheon. This united voice gives them strength often lacking in the divisive clamor of the other gods"

"The relationship the Orders of High Sorcery had with the Gods of Magic did not work in the same way as the relationships of other gods and their followers. Wizards did not lose their spellcasting ability. The wizards of the time, as educated men and women, understood religion and the relationship of the moons, planets, and constellations to the gods, but matters of faith and divine magic were never their province. So, they, as an Order, never questioned the gods’ departure.

The Gods of Magic have never asked to be worshipped, nor have they required the Orders to worship them. As the first Foundation states, a Wizard’s first and only loyalty is to the magic. Even after the gift of divine magic disappeared, arcane magic remained. The three moons shone in the sky and the Orders continued with their practices"
Cool thanks for this information I will help me greatly, I started re-reading the chronicles novels again and somethings are making clear sense to me now that did not pick up until now.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
"The Gods of Magic have never asked to be worshipped, nor have they required the Orders to worship them. As the first Foundation states, a Wizard's first and only loyalty is to the magic. Even after the gift of divine magic disappeared, arcane magic remained. The three moons shone in the sky and the Orders continued with their practices: finding and training young people gifted with magic, giving the Test to those wanting to pursue High Sorcery, all the while isolating themselves within the Tower of Wayreth, protected by its grove, the Wayreth Forest." -Towers of High Sorcery (affiliate link), pg. 76-77.

The theme of the gods disappearing at the end of Krynn's third age (the Age of Might), is that the gods didn't abandon mortals; mortals abandoned the gods, turning away from them in their pride and arrogance, as exemplified by the Kingpriest of Istar. It's why the constellations, planets, and moons didn't change, compared to the Fifth Age, when Takhisis stole the world, which resulted in the gods (who could no longer find it) not being represented in the heavens until the War of Souls, when they located Krynn again.

In other words, the arcane spellcasters kept their magic during the Age of Despair (i.e. the fourth age) because it was still there, the same way that Mishakal was still there for Goldmoon to find, etc.
Cool I just got a copy of Towers of High sorcery I will check out those pages thank you very much.

Remove ads