D&D General Have You Actually Read the DM's Guide?

Have You Read the Dungeon Master's Guide for Any Edition of D&D?

• I sometimes DM and have read at least one DM's Guide from cover-to-cover.

• I never DM and have read at least one DM's Guide from cover-to-cover.

• I sometimes DM and have read at least part of a DM's Guide.

• I never DM and have read at least part of a DM's Guide.

• I sometimes DM and have never read any part of a DM's Guide.

• I never DM and have never read any part of a DM's Guide.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I've been running D&D 5th edition off an on since it was released a few years ago, and while I've read the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual cover-to-cover, I've never actually sat down and read through the entirety of the DM's Guide. I've read bits and pieces of it, but there are whole swaths of the book that remain an arcane mystery to me. I think the last time I read a DM's Guide from front to back was almost 21 years ago when 3rd edition was released. I'm just curious to learn who has actually read any version of the DM's Guide at some point in their gaming history. This is just one of those weird thoughts that come to me in the middle of the night.

I have indeed read the DMG from front to back. I still reference it all the time, though; and I can tell which sections I reference more than others. Encounter building guidelines? Not much. Magic items? All the f&$@ing time.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I always read every rule book I buy cover-to-cover, typically more than once.

When what I'm reading is a "core rule" I do my best to commit it to memory so as to minimize referencing any books at the table. If it's more discretionary material it's still at least good to review it so I can make an informed decision to take it or leave it.

I also like to teach the game to newer players, which is why I try to be so informed about core rules as written. Sometimes having a conversation with a new player is easier than handing them a PHB and telling them to have at it.

Oofta

Legend
I may not have paid as much attention to certain sections such as the descriptions of artifacts that I will never use, but I have read through every DMG at one time or other.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
So I voted that I had read it cover-to-cover, but then realised that's not strictly true. I didn't read most of the magic items.

There is also the separate question 'how much of its content do I actually remember and use in playing or planning games', to which the answer would be 'very little'.

MGibster

Legend
I wish there was an option: I usually (or even always) DM and have read at least one DMG cover-to-cover.

"Sometimes" (while technically ok) doesn't quite sit will considering I DM over 90% of the time. shrug
I thought about that when creating the poll and elected to be satisfied with "Sometimes" for the sake of brevity.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I really can't remember if I have read a DMG cover to cover. If I had, it was the 3e and/or 5e DMG.

Remove ads